Re: [Authentic_SCA] Found a cool thing for scribes/poets/composers of songs

  • Heather Rose Jones
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 27, 2004
      At 3:31 PM +0000 6/26/04, Maura Folsom wrote:
      >...an online multi-lingual verb conjugator. It has entries for Old
      >English, Old Norse, Old Occitan, Old High German, etc. I haven't
      >tested it but it seems like it might be handy for those of us who want
      >to translate documents (such as awards, poetry, songs, etc) into a
      >"period" language appropriate to the person/group who will recieve it.
      >
      >I've been throwing around the idea of writing a few poems in the 12th
      >century Troubadour styles, but was uncomfortable with composing a
      >period European (in my case, French or Occitan) poetry form in modern
      >American english. Verb conjugation is one of the toughest things for
      >me about translating/reading/writing in any language I'm not terribly
      >fluent in, so this just seems like a gift from heaven.
      >
      >http://www.verbix.com/webverbix/index.asp

      A fascinating site -- and a heckuva lot of work. (It would be
      interesting to see what it would take to "stump" it.) Definitely a
      memory aid for someone who's already reasonably proficient in the
      language, though. (In fact, it seems to have some design features
      that will keep it from being used by the entirely clueless -- e.g.,
      you have to already know the verb form to plug in.)

      Interesting language coverage. One has to suspect the choices are
      based on the individual interests of the designers.

      Tangwystyl
      --
      ****
      Heather Rose Jones