'coolers' and camping (was Re: [Authentic_SCA] "Colonial House" and authenticity)

  • Elizabeth Walpole
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2004
      From: "aheilvei" <aheilvei@...>
      To: <Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2004 5:54 AM
      Subject: [Authentic_SCA] "Colonial House" and authenticity, was Re: Period
      head coverings - help!
      <snip>
      > It's called Pennsic, and Estrella, and Rowany, and Gulf Wars. If
      > you're bringing your cooler and your sneakers and your flashlight,
      > and all your other modern 'camping' amenities to these events,
      > you're denying yourself the opportunity to live as people see on
      > these sorts of reality shows.
      <snip>
      At camping events (OK one 4 day SCA event plus several non SCA) I tend use a
      'coolgardie cooler' I don't know it that's an international term but that's
      what I learnt as a girl guide. Essentially you have a bowl of water with
      another bowl inside and a cloth draped over the inside bowl and down into
      the water in the outside bowl, you put your perishable stuff into the inside
      bowl and it stays pretty cool if you leave it in the shade (or in my case in
      the tent). So is this a period method of keeping things cool? I mean it's
      pretty basic and certainly doesn't require any non period technologies, but
      that doesn't mean it is actually period. Anybody have any evidence one way
      or another? Or does it remain in the realms of 'period plausible'?
      Elizabeth
      ----
      Elizabeth Beaumont Elizabeth Walpole
      Politarchopolis, Lochac Canberra Australia
      ewalpole@...

      People are like stained glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun
      is out, but when the darkness sets in ,their true beauty is revealed only if
      there is light from within.
      Elizabeth Kubler-Ross

      The years that a woman subtracts from her age are not lost. They are added
      to the ages of other women.
      Diane de Poitiers (1499-1566) Attrib.
    • Lyle H. Gray
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2004
        On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Elizabeth Walpole wrote:

        > At camping events (OK one 4 day SCA event plus several non
        > SCA) I tend use a 'coolgardie cooler' I don't know it that's
        > an international term but that's what I learnt as a girl
        > guide. Essentially you have a bowl of water with another bowl
        > inside and a cloth draped over the inside bowl and down into
        > the water in the outside bowl, you put your perishable stuff
        > into the inside bowl and it stays pretty cool if you leave it
        > in the shade (or in my case in the tent). So is this a period
        > method of keeping things cool? I mean it's pretty basic and
        > certainly doesn't require any non period technologies, but
        > that doesn't mean it is actually period. Anybody have any
        > evidence one way or another? Or does it remain in the realms
        > of 'period plausible'?
        > Elizabeth

        The Coolgardie Cooler/Safe was reportedly invented in the 1890's
        and named after a mining town in Australia, so I'd say that
        technically it isn't period. However, the idea of cooling by
        evaporation was certainly known earlier than that. It's one of
        the techniques for keeping water cool in a bota (soft leather
        bottle) -- wet the outer surface.

        Works even better if there's a breeze.

        --
        Lyle H. Gray
        gray@... -- text only, please
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 4, 2004
          On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Lyle H. Gray wrote:

          > The Coolgardie Cooler/Safe was reportedly invented in the
          > 1890's and named after a mining town in Australia, so I'd say
          > that technically it isn't period. However, the idea of
          > cooling by evaporation was certainly known earlier than that.
          > It's one of the techniques for keeping water cool in a bota
          > (soft leather bottle) -- wet the outer surface.

          BTW: Look up "water bag" in a Webster's dictionary...