Re: [Authentic_SCA] The Start of Centuries

  • Karen Hall
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 4, 2004
      > PPS It occurs to me to wonder -- when did Europeans start
      > numbering/naming centuries, that is, using terms like "10th century",
      > "17th century", etc?

      As common usage, at least it was in the nineteenth century. There is quite a
      lot of scholarly writing on the Victorian period and cultural understandings
      of history. But that's probably not relevant to this list, so anyone wanting
      part of chapter one of my thesis can contact me offlist :).

      Alessandra