RE: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Frontal nudity okay in period??

  • Willow Polson
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 1 9:27 PM
      Okay, I've been misinformed for all these years then. Forget my previous post.

      - Willow MacPherson
    • Willow Polson
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 1 9:44 PM
        At 03:51 AM 6/2/2004 +0000, you wrote:
        >To be honest, I think it's a sensationalist article which is taking
        >things out of context as support for its dodgy theory.
        >You may notice that they never define anywhere exactly what they mean
        >by "bared breast", and the only woodcut they do show has cleavage,
        >not what most people would call a breast.

        Actually, the slideshow has four woodcuts, all of which show full breasts
        including nipples. The first woodcut is apparently an announcement of the
        coronation of William & Mary with Mary's full breasts exposed. That's what
        I saw anyway... maybe they changed the slide show since this morning.

        - Willow MacPherson
      • JessicaHie@aol.com
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 2 5:19 AM
          .........what ever floats one boat.....

        • wodeford
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 2 7:17 AM
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "hunyddthered"
            <mel_elliott100@h...> wrote:
            > Can't speak for the rest of the Knowne Worlde, of course, but from
            > Lochac point of view, the whole 1660's thing seems to be becuase we
            > do a lot of country dances that were first recorded in the mid-
            > 1600s.

            The first edition of Playford's "The English Dancing Master" dates to
            1651.

            Jehanne de Wodeford
          • Maura Folsom
            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 2 10:10 AM
              "Cathal@..." wrote:

              > The confusion over the 1650 usage comes from the mid 1970's when a brief flirtation
              > with 'cavalier' costume in some of the Kingdoms became a chronic manifestation. Things
              > were a lot looser back then and no-one really wanted to bully folk on the grounds of a 50
              > year deviation in costume choice. Once it became tolerated, however, it didn't take long
              > for the great masses of the misinformed to assume that it was a change in Da Rules
              > (tm).

              Actually, I understood that the "1650 tolerance" had less to do with
              cavaliers than with Edwin Bearsark, who insisted on wearing kilts,
              period or not, pretty much from the Very Beginnings. At least that's
              where it came from originally in the West.

              I remember someone actually saying at his wake that "we can let the 1650
              thing go now, right?"

              Marguerie
            • rowen_g
              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 2 3:55 PM
                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Maura Folsom <jauncourt@v...> wrote:
                > Actually, I understood that the "1650 tolerance" had less to do with
                > cavaliers than with Edwin Bearsark, who insisted on wearing kilts,
                > period or not, pretty much from the Very Beginnings. At least that's
                > where it came from originally in the West.
                >
                > I remember someone actually saying at his wake that "we can let the
                1650
                > thing go now, right?"

                Somehow I'm not surprised (having known the gentleman).... We get a
                fair amount of early 17th c folk around here, from the large fencing
                comunity, and from a number of older folk who were told "1650's ok"
                when we joined (yes, I got it too) and tend to stick with it. I keep
                to pre-1600 myself, but a nice 1630s outfit doesn't bother me nearly
                as much as any number of other things.

                Rowen
              • Hasoferet@aol.com
                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 2 6:33 PM
                  In a message dated 6/1/2004 10:57:46 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                  willow@... writes:

                  > Actually, the slideshow has four woodcuts, all of which show full breasts
                  > including nipples. The first woodcut is apparently an announcement of the
                  > coronation of William & Mary with Mary's full breasts exposed. That's what
                  > I saw anyway... maybe they changed the slide show since this morning.

                  William'n'Mary were crowned 1689, though. Really post-period. I haven't
                  actually read this article, so can't say nothin' about it, but 1600s portraits tend
                  to show a lot of nipple. Usually just one, peeking out from under the edge of
                  your chemise, but definately a lot of nipple on display. It's a cute look,
                  but not one I've seen during our period...

                  Raquel, who tends to behave badly in London's National Portrait Gallery.

                  (Not as badly as the random man who attached to her and a friend there,
                  though, to inform us that James I was 'the first known homosexual'.)

                  ((Ah, the 1600s--age of nipples on display, and men who wore sober suits with
                  Fredericks of Hollywood mules...))
                • bex_1014
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 2 7:27 PM
                    These woodcuts are all post-1600 though, as far as I can see. I did
                    note that what I wrote was intended to apply to the SCA period
                    (before 1600). Connecting the fashion post-1600 with
                    the "Agnes Sorel" picture, IMO is going too far. The AS
                    picture in question can be seen here:
                    http://gallery.euroweb.hu/cgi-bin/gallery/highlight.cgi?
                    file=html/f/fouquet/madonna.html&find=Agnes+Sorel
                    (Hope that link works. If it doesnt, go to the Web Gallery of Art and
                    search for Agnes Sorel, by Jean Fouquet, c.1450.) It is clearly
                    allegorical/mystical, albeit in a rather odd way. (Painting the
                    king's mistress as the Virgin Mary???)
                    While what the article proposes may be more accurate for the 17th
                    century, in certain circles, I would still not think that bare
                    breasts were common for the average woman. But that is OOP anyway, so
                    I'll leave it.
                    Rebecca
                  • Sharon L. Krossa
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 2 8:51 PM
                      At 12:10 PM -0500 6/2/04, Maura Folsom wrote:
                      >Actually, I understood that the "1650 tolerance" had less to do with
                      >cavaliers than with Edwin Bearsark, who insisted on wearing kilts,
                      >period or not, pretty much from the Very Beginnings. At least that's
                      >where it came from originally in the West.

                      Which, while I have no problem believing people thought this made
                      sense at the time, is really kind of funny since kilts proper
                      (Scottish male skirt) are an 18th century invention, so extending
                      period to 1650 doesn't help at all for them. Plaids worn belted, of
                      course, (modernly often called "belted plaids" or "great kilts") are
                      entirely period by the official definition, the first unambiguous
                      description dating to 1594 (in Gaelic, no less, and contrasting the
                      attire of Scottish Gaels to that of Irish Gaels -- as said,
                      unambiguous ;-) so no extension of period is needed for them.

                      Affrick
                      --
                      Sharon L. Krossa, skrossa-ml@...
                    • Wanda Pease
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 2 9:12 PM
                        I always understood that the 1650 date came from an early, maybe first,
                        printing of the Known World Handbook, and Queen Carol's Guide. Neither of
                        these were blessed as "canon" by the Board of Directors of their day. In
                        later years the 1650 date was pretty firmly disavowed by the BoD which
                        caused screams of "They're changing the SCA arbitrarily!!!!!" The fact
                        that nothing was being changed had nothing to do with it. I've seen a 1st
                        generation copy of the original Articles of Incorporation, and they said
                        "Pre-17th Century" very clearly. These are the ones that established the
                        SCA so we could go and play in a Berkley (?) park.

                        Regina
                        At 12:10 PM -0500 6/2/04, Maura Folsom wrote:
                        >Actually, I understood that the "1650 tolerance" had less to do with
                        >cavaliers than with Edwin Bearsark, who insisted on wearing kilts,
                        >period or not, pretty much from the Very Beginnings. At least that's
                        >where it came from originally in the West.

                        Which, while I have no problem believing people thought this made
                        sense at the time, is really kind of funny since kilts proper
                        (Scottish male skirt) are an 18th century invention, so extending
                        period to 1650 doesn't help at all for them. Plaids worn belted, of
                        course, (modernly often called "belted plaids" or "great kilts") are
                        entirely period by the official definition, the first unambiguous
                        description dating to 1594 (in Gaelic, no less, and contrasting the
                        attire of Scottish Gaels to that of Irish Gaels -- as said,
                        unambiguous ;-) so no extension of period is needed for them.

                        Affrick
                        --
                        Sharon L. Krossa, skrossa-ml@...

                      • mastergunner1588
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 3 7:43 AM
                          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "bex_1014"
                          <tonkin.rebecca@s...> wrote:
                          > These woodcuts are all post-1600 though, as far as I can see. I did
                          > note that what I wrote was intended to apply to the SCA period
                          > (before 1600).
                          > Rebecca

                          I don't think I'd agree with that. Number 4 certainly appears to be
                          Elizabethan, not Jacobean. It closely resembles some of the dresses
                          worn by Elizabeth. There are also a number of broadsheet wood cuts
                          that do show similar styles that cut across a broad section of
                          society from the Elizabethan period. (not at home or I'd post some
                          links). Was it common? Not something that every woman would wear, I
                          would say, but not unheard of, either.

                          Just as a nitpick, I saw a lot of people rush to say 'not period' on
                          the list. The article covers a lot more than just the headline, and
                          does discuss more than just 17th C. I would hope that people on this
                          list would not be more concerned with a modern attitude to these
                          fashions, rather than historical accuracy, and use the 'not period'
                          argument to dismiss the entire article.

                          Hawkyns
                        • Aliskye
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jun 3 12:17 PM
                            It should be noted that a number of the flyers for early events
                            before things were codified do state before 1650 for the cut-off.

                            regards,

                            aliskye

                            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "rowen_g" <rowengr@h...> wrote:
                            > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Maura Folsom <jauncourt@v...>
                            wrote:
                            > > Actually, I understood that the "1650 tolerance" had less to do
                            with
                            > > cavaliers than with Edwin Bearsark, who insisted on wearing
                            kilts,
                            > > period or not, pretty much from the Very Beginnings. At least
                            that's
                            > > where it came from originally in the West.
                            > >
                            > > I remember someone actually saying at his wake that "we can let
                            the
                            > 1650
                            > > thing go now, right?"
                            > >

                            > Somehow I'm not surprised (having known the gentleman).... We
                            get a
                            > fair amount of early 17th c folk around here, from the large fencing
                            > comunity, and from a number of older folk who were told "1650's ok"
                            > when we joined (yes, I got it too) and tend to stick with it. I
                            keep
                            > to pre-1600 myself, but a nice 1630s outfit doesn't bother me nearly
                            > as much as any number of other things.
                            >
                            > Rowen
                          • Marc Carlson
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jun 3 12:36 PM
                              Not that it will alter anything, nor that it should - but when I was
                              first introduced to the SCA (in 1979 in Ansteorra) I was taught that
                              the ending date was 1600 with a slop-over date of about 50 years for
                              people who wanted to go that far. OTOH, I was also taught that you
                              shouldn't claim to be anything you can not prove yourself to be (i.e.
                              Elf, Witch, Priest, Doctor, whatever). And those are more or less the
                              guidelines I've tried to stick with for me.

                              Marc/Diarmaid
                            • Ealasaid nic Suibhne
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jun 3 1:17 PM
                                delurking to add:

                                And another contributor to the problem is that there is a certain
                                percentage of folk out there that think "17th Century" means 1700
                                through 1799. I've had mild arguments with several SCA people who
                                didn't understand that the 17th Century started on January 1, 1601.

                                Ealasaid nic Suibhne
                                Kingdom of Atenveldt
                                main focus of study: very early period textiles/embroidery
                              • aheilvei
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jun 3 1:58 PM
                                  Personal opinion.

                                  The horse has crumbled to dust and is fading back into the earth
                                  it's been dead a while and the continued flogging isn't doing any
                                  good.

                                  Personal opinion.

                                  Smiles,
                                  Despina de la gets to go home from work before 11pm for the first
                                  time this week - bubye
                                • Dianne & Greg Stucki
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jun 3 4:47 PM
                                    > The horse has crumbled to dust and is fading back into the earth
                                    > it's been dead a while and the continued flogging isn't doing any
                                    > good.

                                    So it's an ex-horse? It has ceased to be?

                                    Laurensa de la watched too much Monty Python today....

                                    > Personal opinion.
                                    >
                                    > Smiles,
                                    > Despina de la gets to go home from work before 11pm for the first
                                    > time this week - bubye

                                  • Sharon L. Krossa
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jun 3 11:22 PM
                                      At 5:28 PM -0400 6/1/04, Cathal@... wrote:
                                      >It's a matter of local common wisdom over statutory fact. The
                                      >Governing Documents of the SCA specify "pre-17th century western
                                      >culture" and always have. In even the most generous of
                                      >interpretations, that means the SCA's period of focus ends at 12:00
                                      >midnight on 31 December, 1600 CE. That, imo, settles the 'official'
                                      >end of things

                                      and

                                      At 8:17 PM +0000 6/3/04, Ealasaid nic Suibhne wrote:
                                      >And another contributor to the problem is that there is a certain
                                      >percentage of folk out there that think "17th Century" means 1700
                                      >through 1799. I've had mild arguments with several SCA people who
                                      >didn't understand that the 17th Century started on January 1, 1601.

                                      While I agree that the 17th century is, roughly, the 1600s, I advise
                                      against insisting on too precise "exact" end points for it (or other
                                      centuries).

                                      Precise hours are too exact and even precise days are not safe -- in
                                      many SCA period cultures the calendar year did not start on 1 January
                                      (in England, for example, it started on 25 March until the mid-18th
                                      century) and, further, circa 1600, because some countries had adopted
                                      the Gregorian Calendar but others had not, 1 January occurred on
                                      different days in different parts of Europe.

                                      Calendars and associated concepts, such as named/numbered centuries,
                                      are socially constructed concepts and not inevitable absolutes, and
                                      as such they tend to change and vary and they aren't always derived
                                      logically purely from consistent first principles. So even whether
                                      the 17th century starts with 1601 or 1600 is not clear cut and is
                                      legitimately arguable... **

                                      And this isn't even to get into the issue of "long" centuries as used
                                      by historians to lump together trends that don't fit neatly into
                                      numbered centuries!

                                      Africa

                                      **PS In anticipation of those who will try to argue it is not
                                      arguable, based on appeals to logic, just contemplate the "logical"
                                      consequences of a year numbering system where the (6th century AD)
                                      inventor set the theoretical beginning of "Year 1" on the 1 January
                                      after the 25 December birth of Christ but where later people, without
                                      changing the year numbers, changed the beginning of the year to 25
                                      March, the anniversary of the conception of Christ -- and then later
                                      others, at different times, changed it back to 1 January (not to
                                      mention others still changing the start of the year to yet other
                                      dates...). Logic doesn't provide one inevitable answer, nor is actual
                                      practice -- usage by different people and/or in different times --
                                      consistent (as evidenced by the huge celebrations over 31 Dec 1999-1
                                      Jan 2000 compared to 31 Dec 2000-1 Jan 2001 ;-).

                                      PPS It occurs to me to wonder -- when did Europeans start
                                      numbering/naming centuries, that is, using terms like "10th century",
                                      "17th century", etc?
                                      --
                                      Sharon L. Krossa, skrossa-ml@...
                                    • Karen Hall
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jun 4 12:00 AM
                                        > PPS It occurs to me to wonder -- when did Europeans start
                                        > numbering/naming centuries, that is, using terms like "10th century",
                                        > "17th century", etc?

                                        As common usage, at least it was in the nineteenth century. There is quite a
                                        lot of scholarly writing on the Victorian period and cultural understandings
                                        of history. But that's probably not relevant to this list, so anyone wanting
                                        part of chapter one of my thesis can contact me offlist :).

                                        Alessandra