"Colonial House" and authenticity, was Re: Period head coverings - help!

  • wodeford
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 1, 2004
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Willow Polson <willow@c...>
      wrote:
      > Right..... but AFAIK they were extremely careful in Colonial House
      to get
      > everything completely authentically correct, and I saw women
      wearing
      > "kerchief-like" head coverings tied in the back....

      "Colonial House" was set up to provide the colonists with authentic
      clothing and living conditions and two weeks worth of training at
      Plimoth Plantation on how to chop wood without taking off a foot and
      so on. Once they turned their colonists loose without supervision,
      entropy and modern attitudes had their way. There was a great deal
      of shimmying into pre-laced corsets and not bothering to adjust the
      lacing. I have to wonder how much hair made it into the pease
      pottage because nobody ever put it up into anything neater than a
      ponytail. I would take the "Colonial House" do-rags with a grain of
      salt.

      Besides, I saw that Bethany kid smuggling bobbypins back from Texas.
      ;->

      Have you seen the ladies' headwear at Historic Enterprises?
      http://www.historicenterprises.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=16

      There are some styles that are appropriate for the 15th and 16th
      century that may give you some ideas.

      Tuppenceworth,
      Jehanne de Wodeford
    • ketamina06
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "wodeford" <wodeford@y...>
        wrote:
        Once they turned their colonists loose without supervision,
        > entropy and modern attitudes had their way. There was a great deal
        > of shimmying into pre-laced corsets and not bothering to adjust
        the
        > lacing. I have to wonder how much hair made it into the pease
        > pottage because nobody ever put it up into anything neater than a
        > ponytail. I would take the "Colonial House" do-rags with a grain
        of
        > salt.

        That's the issue that bothers me the most: folks like us who really
        want to try and recreate...LIVE... history are sitting on the wrong
        side of the television! I watch shows like Colonial House (and
        before that, the Pioneer series) and Survivor and wonder, where do
        they get these people? Of course I understand that ratings require
        the stars of the show to struggle through difficulty, but I get more
        satisfaction out of watching people do things right (to the best of
        our knowledge) and do them well.

        I begin to wonder if the lot of us are just plain certifiable, but
        then I remember that we focus on these aspects of history for many
        good and explainable reasons. So, when are WE going to get to be
        guests on a show like this, and try our mettle against 'real life'
        situations that last longer than a weekend?

        Come on PBS, when does Medieval Village start airing?!

        :) Whew, rant over.

        L. Keterlyn LeFave
      • Willow Polson
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
          At 04:00 PM 6/2/2004 +0000, you wrote:
          >I watch shows like Colonial House (and
          >before that, the Pioneer series) and Survivor and wonder, where do
          >they get these people?

          Off the street, apparently.... I think that's the intention, the "fish out
          of water" thing. Makes better TV, and, as someone else pointed out, the
          "normal" people watching the show (i.e. not us) can relate to them better.

          >So, when are WE going to get to be
          >guests on a show like this, and try our mettle against 'real life'
          >situations that last longer than a weekend?

          Heh..... don't hold yer breath. Although maybe some well-placed letters
          would generate a new kind of reality show, eh? "Reenactor House".....
          hmmm...! 8-)

          >Come on PBS, when does Medieval Village start airing?!

          Yeah, I've been wishing for that one since seeing 1900 House. 8-)

          - Willow MacPherson

          Rev. Willow Polson www.willowsplace.com
          Give my Pagan Paradise Live365 Radio Station a listen!
          http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/directory.cgi?autostart=willowpolson
        • msgilliandurham
          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "ketamina06" <ketamina06@y...>
            wrote:

            [...]I watch shows like Colonial House (and
            > before that, the Pioneer series) and Survivor and wonder, where do
            > they get these people? [...]So, when are WE going to get to be
            > guests on a show like this, and try our mettle against 'real life'
            > situations that last longer than a weekend?

            Unfortunately, probably never :-(

            During a Washington Post online chat with the exectutive producer,
            Beth Hoppe (see http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A42718-
            2004May20.html, requires registration) Ms. Hoppe specifically stated
            that they didn't want anyone who was an "expert" on the time period.

            Personally, I quit watching after the first night -- too much
            sociology and not enough anthopology for me :-)

            Gillian Durham
          • aheilvei
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
              So, when are WE going to get to be
              > guests on a show like this, and try our mettle against 'real life'
              > situations that last longer than a weekend?

              It's called Pennsic, and Estrella, and Rowany, and Gulf Wars. If
              you're bringing your cooler and your sneakers and your flashlight,
              and all your other modern 'camping' amenities to these events,
              you're denying yourself the opportunity to live as people see on
              these sorts of reality shows.

              As for when someone who knows something will appear on one of these
              types of television shows - whenever they submit an application for
              the show and are accepted as part of the cast.

              Smiles,
              Despina
            • Willow Polson
              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
                At 07:54 PM 6/2/2004 +0000, you wrote:
                >It's called Pennsic, and Estrella, and Rowany, and Gulf Wars.

                ROTFL! Yes, someday I'll be able to get to one of those..... 8-) I'm hoping
                for Estrella next year...

                > If
                >you're bringing your cooler and your sneakers and your flashlight,
                >and all your other modern 'camping' amenities to these events,
                >you're denying yourself the opportunity to live as people see on
                >these sorts of reality shows.

                Yep..... absoposilutely. Or something like that. 8-) If only I had a
                stable of experts at my beck and call to clothe me and give me period foods
                and tools..... *sigh* THEN we'd be getting somewhere! LOL

                - Willow (oatmeal, breakfast of champions) MacPherson
              • aheilvei
                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
                  > Yep..... absoposilutely. Or something like that. 8-) If only I
                  had a stable of experts at my beck and call to clothe me and give
                  me period foods and tools..... *sigh* THEN we'd be getting
                  somewhere! LOL

                  And what is available here? A bulging compilation of resources in
                  the files, links, and database sections for everyone who joins this
                  group - as well as the archives, there is a lot in the archives.

                  Don't know how to make non-cooler camping food? look though the
                  archives or in the files section; in the files section you'll find a
                  folder labled "Events without a cooler". Some of it's as easy as
                  anything considered 'normal' today - poached eggs, what we now call
                  French toast, cheese, fruit, sausages, stews, and more!

                  Not sure about the new dress you want to make? The links section has
                  a folder titled, "clothing" and another titled, "Fabrics" so you can
                  find the fabric to make the clothing. Tons of websites with tips and
                  hints. The files section also has a lot of hints and tips on how to
                  make stuff and the archives are just chock full of such things.

                  The information is there for everyone to use. Putting it to use is
                  up to those who have it at their fingertips.

                  Despina
                • Allyson Tripp Rozell
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
                    Sure, the info is there (well, a lot of it, anyway), but where are the
                    servants to implement it?!?
                    Or at least to do my mundane chores so I can get at it myself...

                    Allyson, wanting some authentic servants

                    At 12:19 AM 6/3/04 +0000, you wrote:

                    > > Yep..... absoposilutely. Or something like that. 8-) If only I
                    >had a stable of experts at my beck and call to clothe me and give
                    >me period foods and tools..... *sigh* THEN we'd be getting
                    >somewhere! LOL
                    > >

                    >And what is available here? A bulging compilation of resources in
                    >the files, links, and database sections for everyone who joins this
                    >group - as well as the archives, there is a lot in the archives.
                    >Despina

                  • Willow Polson
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
                      At 12:19 AM 6/3/2004 +0000, you wrote:
                      >And what is available here? A bulging compilation of resources in
                      >the files, links, and database sections for everyone who joins this
                      >group - as well as the archives, there is a lot in the archives.

                      Right.... but I meant I was hoping for free clothes and food and tools like
                      the Colonial House folks... then we'd be getting somewhere! 8-)

                      - Willow MacPherson

                      Rev. Willow Polson www.willowsplace.com
                      Give my Pagan Paradise Live365 Radio Station a listen!
                      http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/directory.cgi?autostart=willowpolson
                    • Tiffany Brown / Lady Teffania Tukerton
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
                        I've tried this style and had one problem - my hair is rather thick
                        (such that half my hair plaited can pass for annother's whole hair
                        plait), as well as hip length. (longer now - I need a longer veil to
                        do this). So with the hair twisted into the turban, I get a rather
                        bulky outer rim of the turban, noticeably thicker on the side that the
                        hair went to first. The weight is also lopsided, and gets a bit tiring
                        by the end of the day (and probably helps pull the turban undone
                        quicker (ie after an hour or two) that if it were more even (a longer
                        cloth would probably help here).

                        Anyway, has anyone else had this problem and found a solution? I've
                        tried putting my hair inside the turban, but it doesn't work well with
                        just a plait, and doing a hairstyle kinda destroys the convenience of
                        the quick turban. (and the turban slips easier) Meanwhile I'll
                        experiment with other turban styles when the need arises, but I though
                        it was worth asking.

                        Teffania
                        p.s. inauthentic very hot weather cheat, to help you cope with
                        temperatures way above those such clothing came from - slip a few
                        iceblocks into your turban. As they melt the gentle drip of cool
                        water down your neck may keep you smiling while others shed layers and
                        headwear to a level of undressedness that would be shockingly rude in
                        most medieval periods and places. Probably less effective in highly
                        humid climates like pennsic, but works well in hot dryish ones.

                        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Karen Hall <karenh@c...> wrote:

                        > My favourite easy period head covering is a style called a trezendo
                        (not sure if
                        > I've spelled that right, but anyway). I've seen it used with 15th
                        and 16th
                        > century Spanish women's clothing, and in 15th century Italian
                        pictures (mainly
                        > for older, non-upperclass women). I like it because a) it is really
                        easy and
                        > comfortable and b) it suit's almost any hair length, and hides short
                        hair
                        > well.
                      • Kristen Dahle
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
                          So with the hair twisted into the turban, I get a rather
                          > bulky outer rim of the turban, noticeably thicker on the side that the
                          hair went to first. The weight is also lopsided,

                          Just a thought--
                          Have you tried putting your hair into two braids, putting the center of the
                          cloth over the top of your head, wrapping each braid separately with either
                          end of the cloth, and then wrapping the two braids around your head from
                          opposite directions? I've never tried this with a hair wrap, but I've done
                          it with just my hair to get a more even around-the-head look under veiling.
                          I can do this with two braids that start more or less straight down my back
                          (the bulk ends up mostly at my neck then) or with braids that start over my
                          ears.

                          Pax,
                          Elisa