Middle A&S Kingdom Faire

  • aheilvei
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2004
      Congratulations to all of those who entered in the Middle Kingdom
      A&S Faire this last weekend. There were many amazing entries. The
      stained glass laurel 'scroll' was tremendously admired, as were the
      leather book covers. The felted hat got special attention from
      our 'follically challenged' (his words in Court) King. The
      embroidery was skillful. There was a lovely document done in a
      Persian style with gold even to the edges of the page. The dishes
      being made in the kitchen drew people in who wanted to 'just look'
      but seemed quite interested in tasting if they had been given the
      opportunity (the lobster/fig sounded particularly yummy to me!). It
      truly was a great faire showing much of the vastness of the talent
      in the Middle Kingdom.

      As for how I did, well, it was a good day. :^D <blush>

      Middle Kingdom scores:
      0-12 Honorable Mention
      13-18 Third Place
      19-24 Second Place
      25-30 First Place
      30 is a perfect score
      Scores are rounded up if decimals are involved.

      Costume: Single Component – I entered a Wallachian contes (a lady's
      outer garment, similar to a kaftan) overall score was a second. My
      judges' sheets scores are 23.45, 22, and 22.55.

      Calligraphy – I entered a Psalm in Hebrew on goatskin vellum with
      walnut ink; my overall score was a second. My judges' sheets scores
      are: 18.375, 22, and 22.4.

      Miscellaneous Studio Arts and Sciences – I entered Suminagashi,
      Japanese paper marbling; my overall score was a first. My judges'
      sheets scores are: 26.05, 27, and 21.5.

      Music Performance: Vocal – I sang a Hebrew song written in numes; my
      overall score was a first. My judges' score sheets are: 28.955,
      26.5, and 29.1.

      Cooking: Single Dish – I entered chocolate made three ways; my
      overall score was a first. My judges' score sheets are: 30, 30, and
      27.75 (one point was knocked off in Scope).

      I am looking to make my clothing entry and my cooking entry into TI
      articles and submit them before the fall deadline.

      Most importantly, I had a lot of fun. Countess Alys Katharine,
      though she didn't judge my cooking entry, really liked it and gave
      me some pointers on it in addition to those offered from the judges.
      My contes got a lot of compliments both while on the table that day
      and the next day while I was wearing it during Crown Tournament. I
      was asked by a dear friend to sing my song again, outside of
      competition the night of A&S, as he had not heard my performance and
      was gratified with a smile from him when I was done.

      Yes, overall, I had a very good day.

      His Majesty asked me at feast the next night if I would be the
      Kingdom's A&S Champion and I said that I would. I have no idea when
      he plans to invest me as such as he did not do so earlier in the
      weekend and when he asked, it was not a Court. I don't want to be
      presumptive and assume that the title is mine until I am sure it's
      official (I just don't know this protocol).

      Smiles,
      Despina de la has a proud husband
    • joe rummel
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2004
        I have seen a lot of waistbands (both at reenactment
        and SCA events) that have an ajustable lacing slot in
        the center back. This looks to be a very easy way of
        making pants/trunkhose for those needing various
        waistband sizes. What I can't find is any
        documentation for this, has anyone seen any period
        sources for this.

        Thanks in advance,
        Benedict Ashton, WSA
        Ansteorra
        Texas

        http://messenger.yahoo.com/
      • wodeford
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2004
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "aheilvei" <aheilvei@u...>
          wrote:
          > As for how I did, well, it was a good day. :^D <blush>

          Phew, I guess you figure you can sleep when you're dead. That's a
          lot of stuff!

          Congratulations.

          I had a good weekend too. Cynagua Coronet was held at a site in the
          Sierras so we had sun, pine trees and mountains as well as lush
          fairground grass for barefootin' around camp. I taught my "musical
          history tour class," taught a couple of songs at the children's
          campfire, vamped between rounds at the bardic competition (no, I did
          not compete), tried out a pea soup recipe that needs some tweaking
          in terms of balancing the seasonings but wasn't bad and was
          definitely filling....

          Jehanne the still yawning
        • twinkie
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1, 2004
            HUZZAH Despina, you go girl!! I am so happy and very
            proud of you for this achievement!

            Huggles!

            Mabbina
            --- aheilvei <aheilvei@...> wrote:

            > Congratulations to all of those who entered in the
            > Middle Kingdom
            > A&S Faire this last weekend.

            =====
            Friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

            http://messenger.yahoo.com/