Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Period head coverings - help!

  • Allyson Tripp Rozell
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 1, 2004
      I've found that wearing a lightweight veil over my mouth and nose does help
      cut down my hay fever reaction. It certainly doesn't filter out everything,
      but it does seem to reduce my exposure. Plus it is likely to be a period
      solution!

      Allyson

      At 04:49 PM 6/1/04 +0000, you wrote:

      >-but sitting in my basket were the wimple and veil that were
      >*supposed* to go on over that for the evening. I was just so
      >abjectly miserable with hay fever that I couldn't face dealing with
      >them. :(
      > -Sabine

    • wodeford
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 1, 2004
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Willow Polson <willow@c...>
        wrote:
        > Right..... but AFAIK they were extremely careful in Colonial House
        to get
        > everything completely authentically correct, and I saw women
        wearing
        > "kerchief-like" head coverings tied in the back....

        "Colonial House" was set up to provide the colonists with authentic
        clothing and living conditions and two weeks worth of training at
        Plimoth Plantation on how to chop wood without taking off a foot and
        so on. Once they turned their colonists loose without supervision,
        entropy and modern attitudes had their way. There was a great deal
        of shimmying into pre-laced corsets and not bothering to adjust the
        lacing. I have to wonder how much hair made it into the pease
        pottage because nobody ever put it up into anything neater than a
        ponytail. I would take the "Colonial House" do-rags with a grain of
        salt.

        Besides, I saw that Bethany kid smuggling bobbypins back from Texas.
        ;->

        Have you seen the ladies' headwear at Historic Enterprises?
        http://www.historicenterprises.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=16

        There are some styles that are appropriate for the 15th and 16th
        century that may give you some ideas.

        Tuppenceworth,
        Jehanne de Wodeford
      • ketamina06
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "wodeford" <wodeford@y...>
          wrote:
          Once they turned their colonists loose without supervision,
          > entropy and modern attitudes had their way. There was a great deal
          > of shimmying into pre-laced corsets and not bothering to adjust
          the
          > lacing. I have to wonder how much hair made it into the pease
          > pottage because nobody ever put it up into anything neater than a
          > ponytail. I would take the "Colonial House" do-rags with a grain
          of
          > salt.

          That's the issue that bothers me the most: folks like us who really
          want to try and recreate...LIVE... history are sitting on the wrong
          side of the television! I watch shows like Colonial House (and
          before that, the Pioneer series) and Survivor and wonder, where do
          they get these people? Of course I understand that ratings require
          the stars of the show to struggle through difficulty, but I get more
          satisfaction out of watching people do things right (to the best of
          our knowledge) and do them well.

          I begin to wonder if the lot of us are just plain certifiable, but
          then I remember that we focus on these aspects of history for many
          good and explainable reasons. So, when are WE going to get to be
          guests on a show like this, and try our mettle against 'real life'
          situations that last longer than a weekend?

          Come on PBS, when does Medieval Village start airing?!

          :) Whew, rant over.

          L. Keterlyn LeFave
        • Willow Polson
          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
            At 04:00 PM 6/2/2004 +0000, you wrote:
            >I watch shows like Colonial House (and
            >before that, the Pioneer series) and Survivor and wonder, where do
            >they get these people?

            Off the street, apparently.... I think that's the intention, the "fish out
            of water" thing. Makes better TV, and, as someone else pointed out, the
            "normal" people watching the show (i.e. not us) can relate to them better.

            >So, when are WE going to get to be
            >guests on a show like this, and try our mettle against 'real life'
            >situations that last longer than a weekend?

            Heh..... don't hold yer breath. Although maybe some well-placed letters
            would generate a new kind of reality show, eh? "Reenactor House".....
            hmmm...! 8-)

            >Come on PBS, when does Medieval Village start airing?!

            Yeah, I've been wishing for that one since seeing 1900 House. 8-)

            - Willow MacPherson

            Rev. Willow Polson www.willowsplace.com
            Give my Pagan Paradise Live365 Radio Station a listen!
            http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/directory.cgi?autostart=willowpolson
          • msgilliandurham
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "ketamina06" <ketamina06@y...>
              wrote:

              [...]I watch shows like Colonial House (and
              > before that, the Pioneer series) and Survivor and wonder, where do
              > they get these people? [...]So, when are WE going to get to be
              > guests on a show like this, and try our mettle against 'real life'
              > situations that last longer than a weekend?

              Unfortunately, probably never :-(

              During a Washington Post online chat with the exectutive producer,
              Beth Hoppe (see http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A42718-
              2004May20.html, requires registration) Ms. Hoppe specifically stated
              that they didn't want anyone who was an "expert" on the time period.

              Personally, I quit watching after the first night -- too much
              sociology and not enough anthopology for me :-)

              Gillian Durham
            • aheilvei
              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
                So, when are WE going to get to be
                > guests on a show like this, and try our mettle against 'real life'
                > situations that last longer than a weekend?

                It's called Pennsic, and Estrella, and Rowany, and Gulf Wars. If
                you're bringing your cooler and your sneakers and your flashlight,
                and all your other modern 'camping' amenities to these events,
                you're denying yourself the opportunity to live as people see on
                these sorts of reality shows.

                As for when someone who knows something will appear on one of these
                types of television shows - whenever they submit an application for
                the show and are accepted as part of the cast.

                Smiles,
                Despina
              • Willow Polson
                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
                  At 07:54 PM 6/2/2004 +0000, you wrote:
                  >It's called Pennsic, and Estrella, and Rowany, and Gulf Wars.

                  ROTFL! Yes, someday I'll be able to get to one of those..... 8-) I'm hoping
                  for Estrella next year...

                  > If
                  >you're bringing your cooler and your sneakers and your flashlight,
                  >and all your other modern 'camping' amenities to these events,
                  >you're denying yourself the opportunity to live as people see on
                  >these sorts of reality shows.

                  Yep..... absoposilutely. Or something like that. 8-) If only I had a
                  stable of experts at my beck and call to clothe me and give me period foods
                  and tools..... *sigh* THEN we'd be getting somewhere! LOL

                  - Willow (oatmeal, breakfast of champions) MacPherson
                • aheilvei
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
                    > Yep..... absoposilutely. Or something like that. 8-) If only I
                    had a stable of experts at my beck and call to clothe me and give
                    me period foods and tools..... *sigh* THEN we'd be getting
                    somewhere! LOL

                    And what is available here? A bulging compilation of resources in
                    the files, links, and database sections for everyone who joins this
                    group - as well as the archives, there is a lot in the archives.

                    Don't know how to make non-cooler camping food? look though the
                    archives or in the files section; in the files section you'll find a
                    folder labled "Events without a cooler". Some of it's as easy as
                    anything considered 'normal' today - poached eggs, what we now call
                    French toast, cheese, fruit, sausages, stews, and more!

                    Not sure about the new dress you want to make? The links section has
                    a folder titled, "clothing" and another titled, "Fabrics" so you can
                    find the fabric to make the clothing. Tons of websites with tips and
                    hints. The files section also has a lot of hints and tips on how to
                    make stuff and the archives are just chock full of such things.

                    The information is there for everyone to use. Putting it to use is
                    up to those who have it at their fingertips.

                    Despina
                  • Allyson Tripp Rozell
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
                      Sure, the info is there (well, a lot of it, anyway), but where are the
                      servants to implement it?!?
                      Or at least to do my mundane chores so I can get at it myself...

                      Allyson, wanting some authentic servants

                      At 12:19 AM 6/3/04 +0000, you wrote:

                      > > Yep..... absoposilutely. Or something like that. 8-) If only I
                      >had a stable of experts at my beck and call to clothe me and give
                      >me period foods and tools..... *sigh* THEN we'd be getting
                      >somewhere! LOL
                      > >

                      >And what is available here? A bulging compilation of resources in
                      >the files, links, and database sections for everyone who joins this
                      >group - as well as the archives, there is a lot in the archives.
                      >Despina

                    • Willow Polson
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
                        At 12:19 AM 6/3/2004 +0000, you wrote:
                        >And what is available here? A bulging compilation of resources in
                        >the files, links, and database sections for everyone who joins this
                        >group - as well as the archives, there is a lot in the archives.

                        Right.... but I meant I was hoping for free clothes and food and tools like
                        the Colonial House folks... then we'd be getting somewhere! 8-)

                        - Willow MacPherson

                        Rev. Willow Polson www.willowsplace.com
                        Give my Pagan Paradise Live365 Radio Station a listen!
                        http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/directory.cgi?autostart=willowpolson
                      • Tiffany Brown / Lady Teffania Tukerton
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
                          I've tried this style and had one problem - my hair is rather thick
                          (such that half my hair plaited can pass for annother's whole hair
                          plait), as well as hip length. (longer now - I need a longer veil to
                          do this). So with the hair twisted into the turban, I get a rather
                          bulky outer rim of the turban, noticeably thicker on the side that the
                          hair went to first. The weight is also lopsided, and gets a bit tiring
                          by the end of the day (and probably helps pull the turban undone
                          quicker (ie after an hour or two) that if it were more even (a longer
                          cloth would probably help here).

                          Anyway, has anyone else had this problem and found a solution? I've
                          tried putting my hair inside the turban, but it doesn't work well with
                          just a plait, and doing a hairstyle kinda destroys the convenience of
                          the quick turban. (and the turban slips easier) Meanwhile I'll
                          experiment with other turban styles when the need arises, but I though
                          it was worth asking.

                          Teffania
                          p.s. inauthentic very hot weather cheat, to help you cope with
                          temperatures way above those such clothing came from - slip a few
                          iceblocks into your turban. As they melt the gentle drip of cool
                          water down your neck may keep you smiling while others shed layers and
                          headwear to a level of undressedness that would be shockingly rude in
                          most medieval periods and places. Probably less effective in highly
                          humid climates like pennsic, but works well in hot dryish ones.

                          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Karen Hall <karenh@c...> wrote:

                          > My favourite easy period head covering is a style called a trezendo
                          (not sure if
                          > I've spelled that right, but anyway). I've seen it used with 15th
                          and 16th
                          > century Spanish women's clothing, and in 15th century Italian
                          pictures (mainly
                          > for older, non-upperclass women). I like it because a) it is really
                          easy and
                          > comfortable and b) it suit's almost any hair length, and hides short
                          hair
                          > well.
                        • Kristen Dahle
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
                            So with the hair twisted into the turban, I get a rather
                            > bulky outer rim of the turban, noticeably thicker on the side that the
                            hair went to first. The weight is also lopsided,

                            Just a thought--
                            Have you tried putting your hair into two braids, putting the center of the
                            cloth over the top of your head, wrapping each braid separately with either
                            end of the cloth, and then wrapping the two braids around your head from
                            opposite directions? I've never tried this with a hair wrap, but I've done
                            it with just my hair to get a more even around-the-head look under veiling.
                            I can do this with two braids that start more or less straight down my back
                            (the bulk ends up mostly at my neck then) or with braids that start over my
                            ears.

                            Pax,
                            Elisa