Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Period head coverings - help!

  • Willow Polson
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 1, 2004
      At 12:16 PM 6/1/2004 -0400, you wrote:
      >I associate the look with 'pirates, arrrrrr'.

      Right..... but AFAIK they were extremely careful in Colonial House to get
      everything completely authentically correct, and I saw women wearing
      "kerchief-like" head coverings tied in the back....

      >Not if it's a simple knot, but I've seen plenty of one or two scarves
      >knotted & draped around the head, some with ends dangling, more with all
      >'bits' tucked up.

      I've seen some of these sorts of things....but I don't really get what
      you're describing... one or two scarves... draped... dangling... tucked
      up.... knotted.... I'm feeling very lost. 8-\

      >I've been looking mostly at 14th & 15th century manuscripts & the Manesse
      >codex, especially on the poorer women.
      >Dame Poverty herself is wearing the head scarf style I do most in one
      >manuscript, but I'm at work away from my references. I have seen it on
      >other figures, too, those recieving alms or working in the background of a
      >seasonal-activity calendar panel.

      I should clarify that I'm looking for what would be appropriate to a
      middle-class woman (not poor, not rich) in the 15th - 16th centuries.

      Rev. Willow Polson www.willowsplace.com
      Give my Pagan Paradise Live365 Radio Station a listen!
      http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/directory.cgi?autostart=willowpolson
    • Allyson Tripp Rozell
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 1, 2004
        I've found that wearing a lightweight veil over my mouth and nose does help
        cut down my hay fever reaction. It certainly doesn't filter out everything,
        but it does seem to reduce my exposure. Plus it is likely to be a period
        solution!

        Allyson

        At 04:49 PM 6/1/04 +0000, you wrote:

        >-but sitting in my basket were the wimple and veil that were
        >*supposed* to go on over that for the evening. I was just so
        >abjectly miserable with hay fever that I couldn't face dealing with
        >them. :(
        > -Sabine

      • wodeford
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 1, 2004
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Willow Polson <willow@c...>
          wrote:
          > Right..... but AFAIK they were extremely careful in Colonial House
          to get
          > everything completely authentically correct, and I saw women
          wearing
          > "kerchief-like" head coverings tied in the back....

          "Colonial House" was set up to provide the colonists with authentic
          clothing and living conditions and two weeks worth of training at
          Plimoth Plantation on how to chop wood without taking off a foot and
          so on. Once they turned their colonists loose without supervision,
          entropy and modern attitudes had their way. There was a great deal
          of shimmying into pre-laced corsets and not bothering to adjust the
          lacing. I have to wonder how much hair made it into the pease
          pottage because nobody ever put it up into anything neater than a
          ponytail. I would take the "Colonial House" do-rags with a grain of
          salt.

          Besides, I saw that Bethany kid smuggling bobbypins back from Texas.
          ;->

          Have you seen the ladies' headwear at Historic Enterprises?
          http://www.historicenterprises.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=16

          There are some styles that are appropriate for the 15th and 16th
          century that may give you some ideas.

          Tuppenceworth,
          Jehanne de Wodeford
        • ketamina06
          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "wodeford" <wodeford@y...>
            wrote:
            Once they turned their colonists loose without supervision,
            > entropy and modern attitudes had their way. There was a great deal
            > of shimmying into pre-laced corsets and not bothering to adjust
            the
            > lacing. I have to wonder how much hair made it into the pease
            > pottage because nobody ever put it up into anything neater than a
            > ponytail. I would take the "Colonial House" do-rags with a grain
            of
            > salt.

            That's the issue that bothers me the most: folks like us who really
            want to try and recreate...LIVE... history are sitting on the wrong
            side of the television! I watch shows like Colonial House (and
            before that, the Pioneer series) and Survivor and wonder, where do
            they get these people? Of course I understand that ratings require
            the stars of the show to struggle through difficulty, but I get more
            satisfaction out of watching people do things right (to the best of
            our knowledge) and do them well.

            I begin to wonder if the lot of us are just plain certifiable, but
            then I remember that we focus on these aspects of history for many
            good and explainable reasons. So, when are WE going to get to be
            guests on a show like this, and try our mettle against 'real life'
            situations that last longer than a weekend?

            Come on PBS, when does Medieval Village start airing?!

            :) Whew, rant over.

            L. Keterlyn LeFave
          • Willow Polson
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
              At 04:00 PM 6/2/2004 +0000, you wrote:
              >I watch shows like Colonial House (and
              >before that, the Pioneer series) and Survivor and wonder, where do
              >they get these people?

              Off the street, apparently.... I think that's the intention, the "fish out
              of water" thing. Makes better TV, and, as someone else pointed out, the
              "normal" people watching the show (i.e. not us) can relate to them better.

              >So, when are WE going to get to be
              >guests on a show like this, and try our mettle against 'real life'
              >situations that last longer than a weekend?

              Heh..... don't hold yer breath. Although maybe some well-placed letters
              would generate a new kind of reality show, eh? "Reenactor House".....
              hmmm...! 8-)

              >Come on PBS, when does Medieval Village start airing?!

              Yeah, I've been wishing for that one since seeing 1900 House. 8-)

              - Willow MacPherson

              Rev. Willow Polson www.willowsplace.com
              Give my Pagan Paradise Live365 Radio Station a listen!
              http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/directory.cgi?autostart=willowpolson
            • msgilliandurham
              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "ketamina06" <ketamina06@y...>
                wrote:

                [...]I watch shows like Colonial House (and
                > before that, the Pioneer series) and Survivor and wonder, where do
                > they get these people? [...]So, when are WE going to get to be
                > guests on a show like this, and try our mettle against 'real life'
                > situations that last longer than a weekend?

                Unfortunately, probably never :-(

                During a Washington Post online chat with the exectutive producer,
                Beth Hoppe (see http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A42718-
                2004May20.html, requires registration) Ms. Hoppe specifically stated
                that they didn't want anyone who was an "expert" on the time period.

                Personally, I quit watching after the first night -- too much
                sociology and not enough anthopology for me :-)

                Gillian Durham
              • aheilvei
                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
                  So, when are WE going to get to be
                  > guests on a show like this, and try our mettle against 'real life'
                  > situations that last longer than a weekend?

                  It's called Pennsic, and Estrella, and Rowany, and Gulf Wars. If
                  you're bringing your cooler and your sneakers and your flashlight,
                  and all your other modern 'camping' amenities to these events,
                  you're denying yourself the opportunity to live as people see on
                  these sorts of reality shows.

                  As for when someone who knows something will appear on one of these
                  types of television shows - whenever they submit an application for
                  the show and are accepted as part of the cast.

                  Smiles,
                  Despina
                • Willow Polson
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
                    At 07:54 PM 6/2/2004 +0000, you wrote:
                    >It's called Pennsic, and Estrella, and Rowany, and Gulf Wars.

                    ROTFL! Yes, someday I'll be able to get to one of those..... 8-) I'm hoping
                    for Estrella next year...

                    > If
                    >you're bringing your cooler and your sneakers and your flashlight,
                    >and all your other modern 'camping' amenities to these events,
                    >you're denying yourself the opportunity to live as people see on
                    >these sorts of reality shows.

                    Yep..... absoposilutely. Or something like that. 8-) If only I had a
                    stable of experts at my beck and call to clothe me and give me period foods
                    and tools..... *sigh* THEN we'd be getting somewhere! LOL

                    - Willow (oatmeal, breakfast of champions) MacPherson
                  • aheilvei
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
                      > Yep..... absoposilutely. Or something like that. 8-) If only I
                      had a stable of experts at my beck and call to clothe me and give
                      me period foods and tools..... *sigh* THEN we'd be getting
                      somewhere! LOL

                      And what is available here? A bulging compilation of resources in
                      the files, links, and database sections for everyone who joins this
                      group - as well as the archives, there is a lot in the archives.

                      Don't know how to make non-cooler camping food? look though the
                      archives or in the files section; in the files section you'll find a
                      folder labled "Events without a cooler". Some of it's as easy as
                      anything considered 'normal' today - poached eggs, what we now call
                      French toast, cheese, fruit, sausages, stews, and more!

                      Not sure about the new dress you want to make? The links section has
                      a folder titled, "clothing" and another titled, "Fabrics" so you can
                      find the fabric to make the clothing. Tons of websites with tips and
                      hints. The files section also has a lot of hints and tips on how to
                      make stuff and the archives are just chock full of such things.

                      The information is there for everyone to use. Putting it to use is
                      up to those who have it at their fingertips.

                      Despina
                    • Allyson Tripp Rozell
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
                        Sure, the info is there (well, a lot of it, anyway), but where are the
                        servants to implement it?!?
                        Or at least to do my mundane chores so I can get at it myself...

                        Allyson, wanting some authentic servants

                        At 12:19 AM 6/3/04 +0000, you wrote:

                        > > Yep..... absoposilutely. Or something like that. 8-) If only I
                        >had a stable of experts at my beck and call to clothe me and give
                        >me period foods and tools..... *sigh* THEN we'd be getting
                        >somewhere! LOL
                        > >

                        >And what is available here? A bulging compilation of resources in
                        >the files, links, and database sections for everyone who joins this
                        >group - as well as the archives, there is a lot in the archives.
                        >Despina

                      • Willow Polson
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
                          At 12:19 AM 6/3/2004 +0000, you wrote:
                          >And what is available here? A bulging compilation of resources in
                          >the files, links, and database sections for everyone who joins this
                          >group - as well as the archives, there is a lot in the archives.

                          Right.... but I meant I was hoping for free clothes and food and tools like
                          the Colonial House folks... then we'd be getting somewhere! 8-)

                          - Willow MacPherson

                          Rev. Willow Polson www.willowsplace.com
                          Give my Pagan Paradise Live365 Radio Station a listen!
                          http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/directory.cgi?autostart=willowpolson
                        • Tiffany Brown / Lady Teffania Tukerton
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
                            I've tried this style and had one problem - my hair is rather thick
                            (such that half my hair plaited can pass for annother's whole hair
                            plait), as well as hip length. (longer now - I need a longer veil to
                            do this). So with the hair twisted into the turban, I get a rather
                            bulky outer rim of the turban, noticeably thicker on the side that the
                            hair went to first. The weight is also lopsided, and gets a bit tiring
                            by the end of the day (and probably helps pull the turban undone
                            quicker (ie after an hour or two) that if it were more even (a longer
                            cloth would probably help here).

                            Anyway, has anyone else had this problem and found a solution? I've
                            tried putting my hair inside the turban, but it doesn't work well with
                            just a plait, and doing a hairstyle kinda destroys the convenience of
                            the quick turban. (and the turban slips easier) Meanwhile I'll
                            experiment with other turban styles when the need arises, but I though
                            it was worth asking.

                            Teffania
                            p.s. inauthentic very hot weather cheat, to help you cope with
                            temperatures way above those such clothing came from - slip a few
                            iceblocks into your turban. As they melt the gentle drip of cool
                            water down your neck may keep you smiling while others shed layers and
                            headwear to a level of undressedness that would be shockingly rude in
                            most medieval periods and places. Probably less effective in highly
                            humid climates like pennsic, but works well in hot dryish ones.

                            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Karen Hall <karenh@c...> wrote:

                            > My favourite easy period head covering is a style called a trezendo
                            (not sure if
                            > I've spelled that right, but anyway). I've seen it used with 15th
                            and 16th
                            > century Spanish women's clothing, and in 15th century Italian
                            pictures (mainly
                            > for older, non-upperclass women). I like it because a) it is really
                            easy and
                            > comfortable and b) it suit's almost any hair length, and hides short
                            hair
                            > well.
                          • Kristen Dahle
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
                              So with the hair twisted into the turban, I get a rather
                              > bulky outer rim of the turban, noticeably thicker on the side that the
                              hair went to first. The weight is also lopsided,

                              Just a thought--
                              Have you tried putting your hair into two braids, putting the center of the
                              cloth over the top of your head, wrapping each braid separately with either
                              end of the cloth, and then wrapping the two braids around your head from
                              opposite directions? I've never tried this with a hair wrap, but I've done
                              it with just my hair to get a more even around-the-head look under veiling.
                              I can do this with two braids that start more or less straight down my back
                              (the bulk ends up mostly at my neck then) or with braids that start over my
                              ears.

                              Pax,
                              Elisa