Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Period head coverings - help!

  • Willow Polson
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 1, 2004
      At 12:16 PM 6/1/2004 -0400, you wrote:
      >I associate the look with 'pirates, arrrrrr'.

      Right..... but AFAIK they were extremely careful in Colonial House to get
      everything completely authentically correct, and I saw women wearing
      "kerchief-like" head coverings tied in the back....

      >Not if it's a simple knot, but I've seen plenty of one or two scarves
      >knotted & draped around the head, some with ends dangling, more with all
      >'bits' tucked up.

      I've seen some of these sorts of things....but I don't really get what
      you're describing... one or two scarves... draped... dangling... tucked
      up.... knotted.... I'm feeling very lost. 8-\

      >I've been looking mostly at 14th & 15th century manuscripts & the Manesse
      >codex, especially on the poorer women.
      >Dame Poverty herself is wearing the head scarf style I do most in one
      >manuscript, but I'm at work away from my references. I have seen it on
      >other figures, too, those recieving alms or working in the background of a
      >seasonal-activity calendar panel.

      I should clarify that I'm looking for what would be appropriate to a
      middle-class woman (not poor, not rich) in the 15th - 16th centuries.

      Rev. Willow Polson www.willowsplace.com
      Give my Pagan Paradise Live365 Radio Station a listen!
      http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/directory.cgi?autostart=willowpolson
    • Wendy
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 1, 2004
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Brangwayna wrote:
        I've seen no evidence anywhere for the kerchief tied at the
        > back of the neck as the sole headdress.
        >
        > Brangwayna

        I know I was bad on Sunday with the coif-tied-in-a-knot-at-the-
        back... but sitting in my basket were the wimple and veil that were
        *supposed* to go on over that for the evening. I was just so
        abjectly miserable with hay fever that I couldn't face dealing with
        them. :( I also wound up playing my Boehm-system flute for several
        pieces, so all in all not a good authenticity day for me. <sigh> It
        looked like other people were having fun, though...

        I'm really mostly responding to this message because I wanted to get
        out a small note for those who were at the Alle's Faire event: It
        may be a little late, but please have someone check you very
        carefully for deer ticks, which are *very* small and hard to see. I
        came home with two, only one of which I would ever have found on my
        own.

        -Sabine
      • Allyson Tripp Rozell
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 1, 2004
          I've found that wearing a lightweight veil over my mouth and nose does help
          cut down my hay fever reaction. It certainly doesn't filter out everything,
          but it does seem to reduce my exposure. Plus it is likely to be a period
          solution!

          Allyson

          At 04:49 PM 6/1/04 +0000, you wrote:

          >-but sitting in my basket were the wimple and veil that were
          >*supposed* to go on over that for the evening. I was just so
          >abjectly miserable with hay fever that I couldn't face dealing with
          >them. :(
          > -Sabine

        • wodeford
          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 1, 2004
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Willow Polson <willow@c...>
            wrote:
            > Right..... but AFAIK they were extremely careful in Colonial House
            to get
            > everything completely authentically correct, and I saw women
            wearing
            > "kerchief-like" head coverings tied in the back....

            "Colonial House" was set up to provide the colonists with authentic
            clothing and living conditions and two weeks worth of training at
            Plimoth Plantation on how to chop wood without taking off a foot and
            so on. Once they turned their colonists loose without supervision,
            entropy and modern attitudes had their way. There was a great deal
            of shimmying into pre-laced corsets and not bothering to adjust the
            lacing. I have to wonder how much hair made it into the pease
            pottage because nobody ever put it up into anything neater than a
            ponytail. I would take the "Colonial House" do-rags with a grain of
            salt.

            Besides, I saw that Bethany kid smuggling bobbypins back from Texas.
            ;->

            Have you seen the ladies' headwear at Historic Enterprises?
            http://www.historicenterprises.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=16

            There are some styles that are appropriate for the 15th and 16th
            century that may give you some ideas.

            Tuppenceworth,
            Jehanne de Wodeford
          • ketamina06
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "wodeford" <wodeford@y...>
              wrote:
              Once they turned their colonists loose without supervision,
              > entropy and modern attitudes had their way. There was a great deal
              > of shimmying into pre-laced corsets and not bothering to adjust
              the
              > lacing. I have to wonder how much hair made it into the pease
              > pottage because nobody ever put it up into anything neater than a
              > ponytail. I would take the "Colonial House" do-rags with a grain
              of
              > salt.

              That's the issue that bothers me the most: folks like us who really
              want to try and recreate...LIVE... history are sitting on the wrong
              side of the television! I watch shows like Colonial House (and
              before that, the Pioneer series) and Survivor and wonder, where do
              they get these people? Of course I understand that ratings require
              the stars of the show to struggle through difficulty, but I get more
              satisfaction out of watching people do things right (to the best of
              our knowledge) and do them well.

              I begin to wonder if the lot of us are just plain certifiable, but
              then I remember that we focus on these aspects of history for many
              good and explainable reasons. So, when are WE going to get to be
              guests on a show like this, and try our mettle against 'real life'
              situations that last longer than a weekend?

              Come on PBS, when does Medieval Village start airing?!

              :) Whew, rant over.

              L. Keterlyn LeFave
            • Willow Polson
              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
                At 04:00 PM 6/2/2004 +0000, you wrote:
                >I watch shows like Colonial House (and
                >before that, the Pioneer series) and Survivor and wonder, where do
                >they get these people?

                Off the street, apparently.... I think that's the intention, the "fish out
                of water" thing. Makes better TV, and, as someone else pointed out, the
                "normal" people watching the show (i.e. not us) can relate to them better.

                >So, when are WE going to get to be
                >guests on a show like this, and try our mettle against 'real life'
                >situations that last longer than a weekend?

                Heh..... don't hold yer breath. Although maybe some well-placed letters
                would generate a new kind of reality show, eh? "Reenactor House".....
                hmmm...! 8-)

                >Come on PBS, when does Medieval Village start airing?!

                Yeah, I've been wishing for that one since seeing 1900 House. 8-)

                - Willow MacPherson

                Rev. Willow Polson www.willowsplace.com
                Give my Pagan Paradise Live365 Radio Station a listen!
                http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/directory.cgi?autostart=willowpolson
              • msgilliandurham
                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "ketamina06" <ketamina06@y...>
                  wrote:

                  [...]I watch shows like Colonial House (and
                  > before that, the Pioneer series) and Survivor and wonder, where do
                  > they get these people? [...]So, when are WE going to get to be
                  > guests on a show like this, and try our mettle against 'real life'
                  > situations that last longer than a weekend?

                  Unfortunately, probably never :-(

                  During a Washington Post online chat with the exectutive producer,
                  Beth Hoppe (see http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A42718-
                  2004May20.html, requires registration) Ms. Hoppe specifically stated
                  that they didn't want anyone who was an "expert" on the time period.

                  Personally, I quit watching after the first night -- too much
                  sociology and not enough anthopology for me :-)

                  Gillian Durham
                • aheilvei
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
                    So, when are WE going to get to be
                    > guests on a show like this, and try our mettle against 'real life'
                    > situations that last longer than a weekend?

                    It's called Pennsic, and Estrella, and Rowany, and Gulf Wars. If
                    you're bringing your cooler and your sneakers and your flashlight,
                    and all your other modern 'camping' amenities to these events,
                    you're denying yourself the opportunity to live as people see on
                    these sorts of reality shows.

                    As for when someone who knows something will appear on one of these
                    types of television shows - whenever they submit an application for
                    the show and are accepted as part of the cast.

                    Smiles,
                    Despina
                  • Willow Polson
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
                      At 07:54 PM 6/2/2004 +0000, you wrote:
                      >It's called Pennsic, and Estrella, and Rowany, and Gulf Wars.

                      ROTFL! Yes, someday I'll be able to get to one of those..... 8-) I'm hoping
                      for Estrella next year...

                      > If
                      >you're bringing your cooler and your sneakers and your flashlight,
                      >and all your other modern 'camping' amenities to these events,
                      >you're denying yourself the opportunity to live as people see on
                      >these sorts of reality shows.

                      Yep..... absoposilutely. Or something like that. 8-) If only I had a
                      stable of experts at my beck and call to clothe me and give me period foods
                      and tools..... *sigh* THEN we'd be getting somewhere! LOL

                      - Willow (oatmeal, breakfast of champions) MacPherson
                    • aheilvei
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
                        > Yep..... absoposilutely. Or something like that. 8-) If only I
                        had a stable of experts at my beck and call to clothe me and give
                        me period foods and tools..... *sigh* THEN we'd be getting
                        somewhere! LOL

                        And what is available here? A bulging compilation of resources in
                        the files, links, and database sections for everyone who joins this
                        group - as well as the archives, there is a lot in the archives.

                        Don't know how to make non-cooler camping food? look though the
                        archives or in the files section; in the files section you'll find a
                        folder labled "Events without a cooler". Some of it's as easy as
                        anything considered 'normal' today - poached eggs, what we now call
                        French toast, cheese, fruit, sausages, stews, and more!

                        Not sure about the new dress you want to make? The links section has
                        a folder titled, "clothing" and another titled, "Fabrics" so you can
                        find the fabric to make the clothing. Tons of websites with tips and
                        hints. The files section also has a lot of hints and tips on how to
                        make stuff and the archives are just chock full of such things.

                        The information is there for everyone to use. Putting it to use is
                        up to those who have it at their fingertips.

                        Despina
                      • Allyson Tripp Rozell
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
                          Sure, the info is there (well, a lot of it, anyway), but where are the
                          servants to implement it?!?
                          Or at least to do my mundane chores so I can get at it myself...

                          Allyson, wanting some authentic servants

                          At 12:19 AM 6/3/04 +0000, you wrote:

                          > > Yep..... absoposilutely. Or something like that. 8-) If only I
                          >had a stable of experts at my beck and call to clothe me and give
                          >me period foods and tools..... *sigh* THEN we'd be getting
                          >somewhere! LOL
                          > >

                          >And what is available here? A bulging compilation of resources in
                          >the files, links, and database sections for everyone who joins this
                          >group - as well as the archives, there is a lot in the archives.
                          >Despina

                        • Willow Polson
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
                            At 12:19 AM 6/3/2004 +0000, you wrote:
                            >And what is available here? A bulging compilation of resources in
                            >the files, links, and database sections for everyone who joins this
                            >group - as well as the archives, there is a lot in the archives.

                            Right.... but I meant I was hoping for free clothes and food and tools like
                            the Colonial House folks... then we'd be getting somewhere! 8-)

                            - Willow MacPherson

                            Rev. Willow Polson www.willowsplace.com
                            Give my Pagan Paradise Live365 Radio Station a listen!
                            http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/directory.cgi?autostart=willowpolson
                          • Tiffany Brown / Lady Teffania Tukerton
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
                              I've tried this style and had one problem - my hair is rather thick
                              (such that half my hair plaited can pass for annother's whole hair
                              plait), as well as hip length. (longer now - I need a longer veil to
                              do this). So with the hair twisted into the turban, I get a rather
                              bulky outer rim of the turban, noticeably thicker on the side that the
                              hair went to first. The weight is also lopsided, and gets a bit tiring
                              by the end of the day (and probably helps pull the turban undone
                              quicker (ie after an hour or two) that if it were more even (a longer
                              cloth would probably help here).

                              Anyway, has anyone else had this problem and found a solution? I've
                              tried putting my hair inside the turban, but it doesn't work well with
                              just a plait, and doing a hairstyle kinda destroys the convenience of
                              the quick turban. (and the turban slips easier) Meanwhile I'll
                              experiment with other turban styles when the need arises, but I though
                              it was worth asking.

                              Teffania
                              p.s. inauthentic very hot weather cheat, to help you cope with
                              temperatures way above those such clothing came from - slip a few
                              iceblocks into your turban. As they melt the gentle drip of cool
                              water down your neck may keep you smiling while others shed layers and
                              headwear to a level of undressedness that would be shockingly rude in
                              most medieval periods and places. Probably less effective in highly
                              humid climates like pennsic, but works well in hot dryish ones.

                              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Karen Hall <karenh@c...> wrote:

                              > My favourite easy period head covering is a style called a trezendo
                              (not sure if
                              > I've spelled that right, but anyway). I've seen it used with 15th
                              and 16th
                              > century Spanish women's clothing, and in 15th century Italian
                              pictures (mainly
                              > for older, non-upperclass women). I like it because a) it is really
                              easy and
                              > comfortable and b) it suit's almost any hair length, and hides short
                              hair
                              > well.
                            • Kristen Dahle
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jun 2, 2004
                                So with the hair twisted into the turban, I get a rather
                                > bulky outer rim of the turban, noticeably thicker on the side that the
                                hair went to first. The weight is also lopsided,

                                Just a thought--
                                Have you tried putting your hair into two braids, putting the center of the
                                cloth over the top of your head, wrapping each braid separately with either
                                end of the cloth, and then wrapping the two braids around your head from
                                opposite directions? I've never tried this with a hair wrap, but I've done
                                it with just my hair to get a more even around-the-head look under veiling.
                                I can do this with two braids that start more or less straight down my back
                                (the bulk ends up mostly at my neck then) or with braids that start over my
                                ears.

                                Pax,
                                Elisa