1507 pieced banner

  • kittencat3@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 25, 2004
      The 1507 banner was made in France by a man named Phillippe de Vignuelles, a tailor from Metz. He made the banner out of several thousand pieces of bias cut wool (yes, he counted :) ), and we're lucky enough to have the letter he wrote accompanying the banner when he displayed it in the local cathedral. Unfortunately no picture survives. *sigh*

      As for the wallhanging in the V&A...is that the Tristan hanging? There's a color picture in Kay Staniland's book on medieval embroiderers, and a black and white in Roger Sherman Loomis's book on Arthurian legends in medieval art.

      There's a very strong medieval applique tradition in Germany, with several elaborate examples from the 14th and 15th centuries. I'm currently tracking down a 14th century piece in a German museum that's evidently rather similar to one in the Duke Anton Ulrich Museum in Braunschweig. Neither piece has received much scholarly attention, and I'd wager that there are a few other interesting pieces squirreled away in obscure little museums....

      Sarah Davies
      wishing she had a Fulbright....