Medieval calendar jingle

  • bex_1014
    Message 1 of 1 , May 25 12:10 AM
      Hi:
      In my research into medieval calendars, I came across this memory aid:

      Alta Domat Dominus, Gratis Beat Equa Gerentes
      Contemnit Fictos, Augebit Dona Fideli

      Can anybody translate this?

      The first letter of each word gives the Dominical Letter for the
      month, ie. January = A, February = D, etc. I'm curious as to what it
      means.
      There is an equivalent one in English: At Dover Dwell George Brown
      Esquire, Good Christopher Finch And David Fryer. I don't know the
      dates of either, unfortunately.
      Thanks,
      Rebecca