Historic Gambling this Weekend

  • dparishwhittaker
    Message 1 of 1 , May 24, 2004
      So like, I'm helping a friend run his merchant booth this weekend
      at Portrero war in San Diego county. His wife told me to keep
      him busy and out of trouble. So I think "What a great time to
      stretch the boundries of the overused term Experimental
      Archeology".

      The problem with most reenactment gambling is that it isn't
      done for real money, thus losing a bit of the proper spirit of
      things.

      To rectify this grevious wrong, I will endeavor this weekend to
      simulate the real McCoy with a floating Penny Ante Primero
      game (no ahistoric card games here!)

      For those of you unfamilar, Primero is a lot like Poker, but has
      some neat backstabbing rules in it like forced bets and
      mandatory discards. You also deal backwards like Italians do.

      All you Coneys are more than welcome to attend. Ok, the
      instructional hands are free, and we ain't going to be betting
      more than $.25 at a time (unless I'm doing better than I usually
      do). We might also have some dice games going if there's
      interest.

      Here's the broadside I'm printing up-

      NOTICE TO ALLE

      This is Fayre Warning that Unscrupulous Rooks, Counterfeite
      Cranks, Sharpsters and Other Masterless Men of Divers
      Disreputable Mein have seen at

      ALL TIMES of DAY and NIGHT

      at the

      PENNY ANTE PRIMERO AND HAZZARD TABLES
      (aka Period Poker and Craps)

      at TIME N' AGAIN MERCANTILE
      (run by the notorious SARACEN MANG!)
      in MERCHANTS ROW

      Those of Goode Character will doubtless need find themselves
      farr away from such scurrilous trash, and will not see fit to drop
      by and peruse the Fine Merchandise from a Thousand Lands
      whilst casting a bale of graviers or other such notorious,
      dissolute, dissipated, Italianate pastimes.

      God Save the Queen!

      posted by order of the Calafian Grooms-Porter,
      Brother Repentance-After-The-Fact Parish