Re: [Authentic_SCA] Digest Number 2448/Terms of Endearment

  • Cynthia J Ley
    Message 1 of 2 , May 14, 2004
      > The original word was pigsnie--which I think is very funny, as
      > well as that lollypop is an interesting way of 'translating' it while
      > keeping a food-ish theme to the endearment. Wonder how old 'petit
      chou' is??

      > Elizabeth

      My source shows it as "piggesnye," meaning "(lit. 'pig's eye'), a flower
      (perhaps the trillium); then, a term of endearment. See Miller's tale, l.
      3268, n. (From the Glossary, p. 1095).

      Source: _Complete Works of Geoffrey Chaucer (Student's Cambridge
      edition)_, ed. F.N. Robinson, Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company, 1933.

      The verse goes:
      'She was a prymerole, a piggesnye,
      For any lord to leggen in his bedde,
      Or yet for any yeman to wed.'

      The glossary defines "prymerole' as a 'primrose,' (p. 1097) so a
      reference to another flower seems more likely.

      Arlys

      Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!