Permitted Marriage Dates & Julian & Gregorian Calendars (was: persona research question, any good Catholics out there?)

  • Sharon L. Krossa
    Message 1 of 13 , May 11, 2004
      At 3:31 PM +0000 5/10/04, rchbldwn wrote:
      > > And for history's sake, you could attend a Tridentine (Latin) mass:
      >http://www.latinmass.org/directory.html
      >
      >If you do attend one, however, remember this mass was created in
      >1570. The mass would have been in Latin beforehand, but I don't know
      >what form it came in.
      >
      >As for days or months on which you can't get married--Didn't the
      >calendar change quite a bit after period?

      Well, changed somewhat in very late period (1582).

      >In any case they didn't
      >have leap years, so dates aren't the same as they used to be.

      They did have leap years under the Julian calendar, just not the
      right number to keep in synch with the sun's cycle. The Julian
      calendar has a leap year in every year divisible by 4, while the
      Gregorian calendar has a leap year every year divisible by 4 _except_
      those divisible by 100 unless it is also divisible by 400. (So the
      Gregorian calendar has fewer leap years than the Julian.)

      At the time the Gregorian calendar is adopted, it also involves
      dropping some days so that the vernal equinox again occurs at the
      desired date in March (how many days are dropped, and which days,
      depended on when the calendar was adopted and where).

      >Therefore, you might try finding out what your wedding date would
      >correspond to in the proper year of your persona's marriage, and make
      >that your persona's wedding date (assuming, of course, it wouldn't
      >happen during Lent, etc.).

      One interesting web page about the calendar reform is

      http://www.hermetic.ch/cal_stud/cal_art.html

      and there are also various date calculating websites that might help
      figure out what the modern date would have been if it weren't for the
      Gregorian reform or the like. (When doing such date shifting, there
      are a number of approaches one can take to get different answers :-)

      Mind you, Scotland didn't adopt the Gregorian calendar until the
      mid-18th century, while France adopted it in the late 16th century --
      you could see if converting Scottish to French dates or vice versa
      moves the date out of Lent...

      Effric
      --
      Sharon L. Krossa, skrossa-ml@...