Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Gypsie Wagon

  • William Leo Harrington II
    Message 1 of 6 , May 10, 2004
      From: Willeam (Aros) of Green Pants
      To: Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, May 10, 2004 5:29 PM
      Subject: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Gypsie Wagon

      She is still working out her persona, but she says
      she's an Irish Traveller, not Rom.

      Willeam

      OK, My gut instinct tells me that the wagon is out. I have also found very little evidence of tents, though I'm sure they must have existed in ireland. The thing about travellers is that, allthough their origins are officially murky, they are likely descended from travelling classes such as musicians, poets, and artisans. They likely relied on hospitality during our period and stayed as welcome (usually) guests.
      There was always some tension as these classes, especially the poets, occaisionally grew arrogant, demanding, and just plain obnoxious. They would then face the rebellion of the very people they relied on for their support and would have to come back into line. It is recorded that St. Colm Cille returned to Ireland at one such time of resentment and prevented the outright exile of poets.
      The history is murky, but I suspect its not untill the social disruption caused by the English occupation, and its accompanying poverty, that the travellers became truly ostracized and developed into their own ethnic group. Most of the native Irish couldn't afford to support a large class of travelling artisans and poets, especially since their ranks would be swelled by the dispossesed. So, what does all this mean? Well, the artifacts used by travellers in period would be pretty much the same as those used by the settled people among whom they lived. If you can find evidence of the caravan type wagons being used by travellers in period I would love to see it. On the other hand, in the absence of good evidence one way or the other, I say go for what is most comfortable and interesting. It beats trying to get people to let you stay in their tent in exchange for a poem or metal work.

      Dorje