Re: Sleeve construction

  • ACatelli@manafortbrothers.com
    Message 1 of 7 , May 10, 2004
      > Subject: Re: Sleeve construction
      >
      > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, ACatelli@m... wrote:
      >
      > > The dress pattern associated with the sleeve is, I believe, based on a
      > > photograph of H-38--the Other photo of that famous dress, for when it is
      > > laid flat and the skirts spread, it has more than 1/2 a circle of skirt.
      >
      > H-38? Could you please clarify? Thanks!
      >
      > Marguerie

      Sorry.

      Herjolfsnes find cataloged as #38, for a rescue archeology dig in
      Greenland--dig quick before the whole graveyard falls into the sea, in the
      1910's &/or 20's.

      I. Marc Carlson has many patterns redrawn on his site (Some Clothing of the
      Middle Ages) based on the Herfjolfsnes finds, please search under sites:
      http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/cloth/bockhome.html
      also, he has citations to the archeological sources.

      Some people will refer to the 'Greenland gown' or the '10-gore gown
      (sic--it's really 12, if you are counting the godets as gores)'.

      I can't give a cite right of the top of my head for the photo with the
      skirts spread out flat.

      Ann in CT