Re: Crescent Knives for Food Preparation

  • Maitiú the JOAT
    Message 1 of 2 , May 8 12:30 PM
      Peregrine Falconer wrote:
      >I inherited a knife with a crescent shaped steel blade ... supposedly
      >brought from Scotland about 1900, along with a wooden bowl with shape
      >matching the blade - they are used together for chopping herbs.
      >
      >Recently I acquired an Ulu (Inuit knife) with antler handle and stand
      >but otherwise similar construction.
      >
      >Similar shaped blades ... are usually
      >associated with leather working.

      Round knives and head knives both have a similar shape with a single,
      vertical handle.

      > However, they do a great job of
      >slicing and dicing food, so I wondered if anyone knew of any period
      >illustrations or text references to the use of these knives in
      >cooking.

      The Italians have a cooking knife called a mezzaluna (half-moon) or lunetta
      (little moon) that is used for chopping, sometimes in a wooden bowl that
      fits the blade shape, but usually on a cutting board. I think they've been
      around for quite a while, but I don't have any historical references.
      Perhaps someone else knows?

      Maitiú