RE: [Authentic_SCA] difficult to hide stuff: was creams

  • james barker
    Message 1 of 26 , May 8, 2004
      I am one of the nuts covered head to toe at Pennsic also, I wore wool the
      whole time too and my friends in cotton were dieing as I kept cool :)

      My point about food is that when I do living history I still use sunblock
      and have modern cloths to hide and food to keep cool so I try my best to
      hide it. The food issue is that the food I like needs a cooler so I cannot
      go 100% authintic at events.

      James

      From: "aheilvei" <aheilvei@...>
      To: Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Authentic_SCA] difficult to hide stuff: was creams
      Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 17:56:19 -0000

      > The best thing is to find period alternatives. The hardest thing
      like that to deal with is food and sun block, but both items can be
      hidden.

      Okay, I'll give you that sunblock is difficult to deal with when
      doing our 'thing'. Being very pale blonde who has two skin colors
      (red and white) and needing to re-apply the stuff every half hour or
      I become a lobster I understand the importance of it and the
      difficulty in finding something less modern in which to carry it
      around.

      My solution to this is that I leave as little skin as possible to
      the elements. Yes, I'm one of those crazy people at Pennsic who is
      covered from directly under the chin to ankle and wrist with fabric
      as well as wearing a hat (whenever the wind isn't taking it away) or
      veil. I'm generally pretty comfortable dressed this way too - the
      key for me is the linen first layer.

      However, what's difficult about carrying around food? Sure, if you
      want your hands free all the time and don't want to carry a basket,
      it's going to be an issue - but in that case so is carrying anything
      else, including your drink, your money, etc. Cheese, a bit of
      bread, some fruit, perhaps a meat pie - all of these are period and
      easy to stash in a small-ish pouch or a basket of most any size. So
      what's difficult about carrying food?

      Despina