Re: [Authentic_SCA] More Japanese textiles, sigh....

  • Stephen Higa
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 16, 2001
      > Sashiko, quilting done with primarily indigo-dyed fabric dates to the 18th
      > century.

      drat drat drat! How did they repair clothing before that, and make use of
      precious rags (whether from bast fibers or the scarce remnants of cotton)?
      Or when clothes got raggedy did they just make new ones?
      It looks so cool and wabi-sabi...Ah, well. I'll use the jacket for mundane
      wear, then. ;)

      > Shibori, Japanese stitch-resist "tie-dye" was done since very
      > early times indeed. I can document it to at least the 7th century in Japan.
      > It was not used as clothing decoration in my period (Heian 794-1172), but it
      > was used as such before and after that period.

      Well at least THAT part's period.

      > We Heian nobles thought it
      > beneath us and only used it for temple decorations and furnishings. The
      > peasants did shibori, you see... ;)

      Ah, but of course. :)

      BTW--I'm taking a Japanese History course this semester!

      Moshe
      OneĀ¹s inner lake is calm from lack of wind, its glassy surface undisturbed.
      And this is a perfect mirror for the Divine Radiance!
      --from ha-Sefer Matsa', by Moshe ibn Yishma'el (12th c.)