Re: [Authentic_SCA] Servants (was How Authentic is Normal?)

  • bronwynmgn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 5, 2004
      In a message dated 5/5/2004 5:22:29 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:

      <<I've been grumbling lately that I lack a retinue to strap on my
      armour - all the little buckles. Maybe what I need is a slave
      girl!! >>

      My husband has an equerry - a young man who was, for a time, our "SCA foster
      child" - ie, a teenager whose parents don't play SCA but who were supportive
      of him doing so, and who were comfortable with us taking him to events with us
      and so forth. He loves to have a role to play and suggested this particular
      one to us. We pay him in one suit of clothes per year, and he helps my husband
      set up camp, get into his harness, carries his banner for him when
      appropriate, runs messages for us, and at times is delegated to assist me at whatever
      tasks I need him for. He is tremendously good at it. He became our foster
      child at 15, and suggested this when he was 16 or 17. Unfortunately we have been
      deprived of his assistance for most of the last few years as he enlisted in
      the Army. His term of service will be up in 8 months and we can't wait! With
      any luck he will be able to get leave for Pennsic this year and we will have
      him with us.

      My husband, in turn, is senior man-at-arms to our clan chief - our household
      is roughly set up as a Scottish clan. As our chief is a disabled veteran, my
      husband often serves as his legs and strong back and is responsible, among
      other things for the layout and general running of our Pennsic camp.

      Often these arrangements develop over time in the SCA - my husband became man
      at arms after beginning to date me and getting involved with the clan when I
      was adopted into it.

      Brangwayna
    • William DuBois
      Message 2 of 2 , May 5, 2004

        > Brangwayna

        The quality of some of the people in the SCA continues to amaze me.
        How fortunate for the young man that such wonderful people were there
        to help him out when he needed it.

        Wilhelm