Re: [Authentic_SCA] Taking Hits

  • Alanfrize@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , May 3 3:03 PM
      marshamclean@... writes:

      > Are you talking live-steel work? Do you /really/ want to ratchet up
      > enough for a nit wit to accept the blow? Knowing how hard that may need
      > to be? May I suggest that you say to them first: "do you really want me
      > to hit you harder?". And make sure you have a witness.
      >
      > Madinia

      No, I am talking about walking off the field.

      I have used 'live-steel' weapons for 14 years. I have yet to inflict or see
      an injury.

      Alan

    • Alanfrize@aol.com
      Message 2 of 19 , May 3 3:06 PM
        In a message dated 03/05/2004 22:35:02 GMT Standard Time, ladyro@...
        writes:

        > First question should be - WHY do you fight? Do you fight only to win, or
        > to do honour to the one who inspires you?

        Because I enjoy it, simple as that. However, to me, it's always been a
        Gentleman's agreement about taking hits - a case of "You do, so therefore, so do
        I".

        ALan

      • MMM
        Message 3 of 19 , May 3 5:30 PM
          > No, I am talking about walking off the field.
          > I have used 'live-steel' weapons for 14 years. I have yet to inflict
          or see
          > an injury.
          > Alan

          Ah, I misread the statement. I know live steel is safe, I have buddies
          in a local Medieval Martial Arts group and I've seen them train.
          Walking off the field will make the point admirably.

          Madinia
        • Cynthia J Ley
          Message 4 of 19 , May 4 7:53 AM
            > So my question is this: What's the best thing to do? I was really
            > annoyed
            > at the end. I'm a fighter - I even train others, but how can I
            > enjoy an event
            > when there's this kind of thing going on, or more importantly, what
            > can be
            > done? I've heard of other groups having this problem with this same
            > society.
            >
            > Alan

            Talk to the marshal maybe? Or are they not paying as careful attention as
            they ought?

            A very dear friend, God rest him, was a senior marshal here in An Tir.
            One time he caught a fighter not accepting head blows. He called a hold,
            indicated that the fighter come over to him, and squatted down on the
            ground, giving the hapless fighter no choice but to do the same. He asked
            the fellow to remove his helm, and without saying another word, looked
            carefully at him from one eye to the other. The fighter, getting nervous,
            asked, "Is something the matter, my Lord Marshal?" The marshal replied,
            "I'm checking to see if your pupils are equal and reactive," stood up,
            and resumed the fight.

            The guy went down on the next shot.

            Arlys

            Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
          • aheilvei
            Message 5 of 19 , May 4 8:48 AM
              > "I'm checking to see if your pupils are equal and reactive," stood
              up,and resumed the fight.

              > The guy went down on the next shot.

              Great response to the problem.

              Despina
            • Alanfrize@aol.com
              Message 6 of 19 , May 4 9:40 AM
                In a message dated 04/05/2004 16:09:11 GMT Standard Time, cley@...
                writes:

                > Talk to the marshal maybe? Or are they not paying as careful attention as
                > they ought?

                Unless it's a major event, we don't use Marshalls, which is part of the
                problem.

                Alan

              • aheilvei
                Message 7 of 19 , May 4 9:50 AM
                  > Unless it's a major event, we don't use Marshalls, which is part
                  of the problem.

                  > Alan

                  I thought this one was society wide, but I know that in the Middle
                  Kingdom, you can't have a fighter practice or anything of the sort
                  without a marshal present.

                  Despina
                • Alanfrize@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 4 9:59 AM
                    In a message dated 04/05/2004 17:53:37 GMT Standard Time, aheilvei@...
                    writes:

                    > I thought this one was society wide, but I know that in the Middle
                    > Kingdom, you can't have a fighter practice or anything of the sort
                    > without a marshal present.
                    >
                    > Despina

                    Despina, I was talking about a UK re-enactment event, although from the
                    this problem.

                    Alan

                  • aheilvei
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 4 10:03 AM
                      > Despina, I was talking about a UK re-enactment event, although
                      from the responses I've seen, it seems both the SCA and re-
                      enactment groups commonly get this problem.

                      Having people 'rhino' though shots is a problem that's always going
                      to occur when the adreneline flows, IMO. Not having a marshal on
                      the field makes it worse, IMO. I've seen marshals pull dukes out of
                      fights because the duke in question wouldn't take a hit. It happens -
                      it's part of why the marshals are there and why they should be
                      there. If your group is having marshal activities and no one to
                      say, "halt", that is going to cause injuries because there is no
                      authority on the field to make them stop bad behavior.

                      Despina
                    • Alanfrize@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 4 10:21 AM
                        In a message dated 04/05/2004 18:06:25 GMT Standard Time, aheilvei@...
                        writes:

                        > Having people 'rhino' though shots is a problem that's always going
                        > to occur when the adreneline flows, IMO. Not having a marshal on
                        > the field makes it worse, IMO. I've seen marshals pull dukes out of
                        > fights because the duke in question wouldn't take a hit. It happens -
                        > it's part of why the marshals are there and why they should be
                        > there. If your group is having marshal activities and no one to
                        > say, "halt", that is going to cause injuries because there is no
                        > authority on the field to make them stop bad behavior.
                        >
                        > Despina

                        We have Marshalls at larger battles, however this was more of an informal
                        thing - it was mainly a living history event, with the added bonus of some
                        fighting for those that wanted it.

                        I have seen Marshalls at larger events pull people put of combat for not
                        taking their hits - usually clankies (someone in full harness) who seem to think
                        they're invincible. However this was against a society I used to have a lot of
                        respect for, now I see them in a diferent light.

                        Alan

                      • MMM
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 4 11:34 AM
                          I believe Alan is talking about his Scottish reenactment group,
                          Gadgeddlar. Non SCA IIRC.

                          Madinia

                        • bronwynmgn@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 4 1:13 PM
                            In a message dated 5/3/2004 7:36:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                            Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:

                            <<So my question is this: What's the best thing to do? I was really annoyed
                            at the end. I'm a fighter - I even train others, but how can I enjoy an
                            event
                            when there's this kind of thing going on, or more importantly, what can be
                            done? I've heard of other groups having this problem with this same
                            society.>>

                            If you see that group is in the line, refuse to fight them - politely - and
                            explain why. Get your whole group and the other groups who have been
                            complaining about them to do the same thing. This may help them to understand that
                            they are not making things fun for the other participants, and that the other
                            participants don't want to play with them because of it.
                            If this isn't an option because the events in question are public demos and
                            the show must go on, then get representatives of all the groups together and
                            meet with them about it.

                            Brangwayna