RE: [Authentic_SCA] Taking Hits

  • MMM
    Message 1 of 19 , May 3 1:10 PM
      > From: Alanfrize@... [mailto:Alanfrize@...]
      > I like that idea! I think I'll give it a try.

      Are you talking live-steel work? Do you /really/ want to ratchet up
      enough for a nit wit to accept the blow? Knowing how hard that may need
      to be? May I suggest that you say to them first: "do you really want me
      to hit you harder?". And make sure you have a witness.

      Madinia
    • Jeff Gedney
      Message 2 of 19 , May 3 1:25 PM

        >Are you talking live-steel work? Do you /really/ want to ratchet
        >up enough for a nit wit to accept the blow? Knowing how hard
        >that may need to be? May I suggest that you say to them
        >first: "do you really want me to hit you harder?". And make sure
        >you have a witness.

        I think, heart, that he was talking about my idea of just ceding the bout unfought, (a kind of Shunning behavior) until they realize that they are playing "wrong", and get the clue.

        Capt Elias

        The Purpose of the First Amendment is not to protect only
        comfortable speech. Such speech needs no protection. It is,
        rather, the daring, the profound, the probitive, and yes, the
        offensive, that needs that shield. For nothing significant,
        not in art, culture, or even in politics, has ever arisen
        from pandering to the whims of majority.
      • Ro
        Message 3 of 19 , May 3 2:18 PM
          First question should be - WHY do you fight? Do you fight only to win, or
          to do honour to the one who inspires you?

          If you fight only to win, then by all means, lie cheat steal to obtain your
          goals. That's what rhino hiders do.

          If you fight to do honour to the one who inspires you, then your actions
          should be dictated by what achieves that honouring.

          From your missive, I rather think you fight for the later as opposed to the
          former. Vivat, my lord, for that.

          Ro

          http://www.gothador.com/index.php?ref=835
          an interactive D&D game! Great Fun
        • Alanfrize@aol.com
          Message 4 of 19 , May 3 3:03 PM
            marshamclean@... writes:

            > Are you talking live-steel work? Do you /really/ want to ratchet up
            > enough for a nit wit to accept the blow? Knowing how hard that may need
            > to be? May I suggest that you say to them first: "do you really want me
            > to hit you harder?". And make sure you have a witness.
            >
            > Madinia

            No, I am talking about walking off the field.

            I have used 'live-steel' weapons for 14 years. I have yet to inflict or see
            an injury.

            Alan

          • Alanfrize@aol.com
            Message 5 of 19 , May 3 3:06 PM
              In a message dated 03/05/2004 22:35:02 GMT Standard Time, ladyro@...
              writes:

              > First question should be - WHY do you fight? Do you fight only to win, or
              > to do honour to the one who inspires you?

              Because I enjoy it, simple as that. However, to me, it's always been a
              Gentleman's agreement about taking hits - a case of "You do, so therefore, so do
              I".

              ALan

            • MMM
              Message 6 of 19 , May 3 5:30 PM
                > No, I am talking about walking off the field.
                > I have used 'live-steel' weapons for 14 years. I have yet to inflict
                or see
                > an injury.
                > Alan

                Ah, I misread the statement. I know live steel is safe, I have buddies
                in a local Medieval Martial Arts group and I've seen them train.
                Walking off the field will make the point admirably.

                Madinia
              • Cynthia J Ley
                Message 7 of 19 , May 4 7:53 AM
                  > So my question is this: What's the best thing to do? I was really
                  > annoyed
                  > at the end. I'm a fighter - I even train others, but how can I
                  > enjoy an event
                  > when there's this kind of thing going on, or more importantly, what
                  > can be
                  > done? I've heard of other groups having this problem with this same
                  > society.
                  >
                  > Alan

                  Talk to the marshal maybe? Or are they not paying as careful attention as
                  they ought?

                  A very dear friend, God rest him, was a senior marshal here in An Tir.
                  One time he caught a fighter not accepting head blows. He called a hold,
                  indicated that the fighter come over to him, and squatted down on the
                  ground, giving the hapless fighter no choice but to do the same. He asked
                  the fellow to remove his helm, and without saying another word, looked
                  carefully at him from one eye to the other. The fighter, getting nervous,
                  asked, "Is something the matter, my Lord Marshal?" The marshal replied,
                  "I'm checking to see if your pupils are equal and reactive," stood up,
                  and resumed the fight.

                  The guy went down on the next shot.

                  Arlys

                  Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
                • aheilvei
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 4 8:48 AM
                    > "I'm checking to see if your pupils are equal and reactive," stood
                    up,and resumed the fight.

                    > The guy went down on the next shot.

                    Great response to the problem.

                    Despina
                  • Alanfrize@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 4 9:40 AM
                      In a message dated 04/05/2004 16:09:11 GMT Standard Time, cley@...
                      writes:

                      > Talk to the marshal maybe? Or are they not paying as careful attention as
                      > they ought?

                      Unless it's a major event, we don't use Marshalls, which is part of the
                      problem.

                      Alan

                    • aheilvei
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 4 9:50 AM
                        > Unless it's a major event, we don't use Marshalls, which is part
                        of the problem.

                        > Alan

                        I thought this one was society wide, but I know that in the Middle
                        Kingdom, you can't have a fighter practice or anything of the sort
                        without a marshal present.

                        Despina
                      • Alanfrize@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 4 9:59 AM
                          In a message dated 04/05/2004 17:53:37 GMT Standard Time, aheilvei@...
                          writes:

                          > I thought this one was society wide, but I know that in the Middle
                          > Kingdom, you can't have a fighter practice or anything of the sort
                          > without a marshal present.
                          >
                          > Despina

                          Despina, I was talking about a UK re-enactment event, although from the
                          this problem.

                          Alan

                        • aheilvei
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 4 10:03 AM
                            > Despina, I was talking about a UK re-enactment event, although
                            from the responses I've seen, it seems both the SCA and re-
                            enactment groups commonly get this problem.

                            Having people 'rhino' though shots is a problem that's always going
                            to occur when the adreneline flows, IMO. Not having a marshal on
                            the field makes it worse, IMO. I've seen marshals pull dukes out of
                            fights because the duke in question wouldn't take a hit. It happens -
                            it's part of why the marshals are there and why they should be
                            there. If your group is having marshal activities and no one to
                            say, "halt", that is going to cause injuries because there is no
                            authority on the field to make them stop bad behavior.

                            Despina
                          • Alanfrize@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 4 10:21 AM
                              In a message dated 04/05/2004 18:06:25 GMT Standard Time, aheilvei@...
                              writes:

                              > Having people 'rhino' though shots is a problem that's always going
                              > to occur when the adreneline flows, IMO. Not having a marshal on
                              > the field makes it worse, IMO. I've seen marshals pull dukes out of
                              > fights because the duke in question wouldn't take a hit. It happens -
                              > it's part of why the marshals are there and why they should be
                              > there. If your group is having marshal activities and no one to
                              > say, "halt", that is going to cause injuries because there is no
                              > authority on the field to make them stop bad behavior.
                              >
                              > Despina

                              We have Marshalls at larger battles, however this was more of an informal
                              thing - it was mainly a living history event, with the added bonus of some
                              fighting for those that wanted it.

                              I have seen Marshalls at larger events pull people put of combat for not
                              taking their hits - usually clankies (someone in full harness) who seem to think
                              they're invincible. However this was against a society I used to have a lot of
                              respect for, now I see them in a diferent light.

                              Alan

                            • MMM
                              Message 14 of 19 , May 4 11:34 AM
                                I believe Alan is talking about his Scottish reenactment group,
                                Gadgeddlar. Non SCA IIRC.

                                Madinia

                              • bronwynmgn@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 19 , May 4 1:13 PM
                                  In a message dated 5/3/2004 7:36:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                                  Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:

                                  <<So my question is this: What's the best thing to do? I was really annoyed
                                  at the end. I'm a fighter - I even train others, but how can I enjoy an
                                  event
                                  when there's this kind of thing going on, or more importantly, what can be
                                  done? I've heard of other groups having this problem with this same
                                  society.>>

                                  If you see that group is in the line, refuse to fight them - politely - and
                                  explain why. Get your whole group and the other groups who have been
                                  complaining about them to do the same thing. This may help them to understand that
                                  they are not making things fun for the other participants, and that the other
                                  participants don't want to play with them because of it.
                                  If this isn't an option because the events in question are public demos and
                                  the show must go on, then get representatives of all the groups together and
                                  meet with them about it.

                                  Brangwayna