How Authentic is Normal?

  • William DuBois
    Message 1 of 97 , May 3 10:41 AM
      I just joined the SCA last month and have just recently attended my
      first court function. I was a bit concerned because I was very much
      out of period in dress - just a doublet and a sword I happened to
      already have plus a feather in my hat to signal that I was at least
      trying.

      However, with very, very few exceptions, my minimal garb was
      more 'period' than most of what I saw. And I'm talking senior folks,
      barons, knights etc.

      It seems that most SCAians think slavic peasant garb equals
      authentic medieval. The most common 'outfit' observed was heavy
      black biker boots or brown hippy Indian laceup boots, baggy pants
      (sweats or plaid pajama-like) and a tunic that looked like something
      a 19th century slavic peasant might wear to market day. This in no
      way equates to what I think was wore 'in-period'. I'm new to the SCA
      but not to either interest in the medieval period or to the ability
      to research a subject. (I can't comment regarding the female attaire
      as I haven't researched it at all)

      Is basic slavic peasant attire kind of the norm? The heavy black
      boots are very masculine in an American 'Rebel without a Cause' sort
      of way, but nothing like court dress in the medieval period. I had
      intended to aim for something more authentic - gown, tights and
      pointed shoes. As a result of my visit to court, I feel perfectly
      free to go for something sort of a cross between Heavy Metal fantasy
      medieval and BDSM leathers.

      But, I'm curious. Do other regions dress 'in-period'?
    • MMM
      Message 97 of 97 , May 14 8:48 AM
        Hmm. See, I'm a believer in Caradoc's philosophy of "don't let the best
        be the enemy of the good". While I certainly realize that biker boots
        are not hand crafted period shoes, I find them a lot more appropriate
        than Docs or addidas. I find biker boots totally ignorable.

        Madinia