RE: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Chauses and Braies

  • Katharine Devereaux
    Message 1 of 10 , May 3, 2004
      Greetings,

      This same topic has been discussed as of recently on the Armour Archive
      Board, www.armourarchive.org <http://www.armourarchive.org/> .

      http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=30081

      The current discussion is on some pics of colored braies that were found
      (a whole collection) and now they are discussing whether the colors
      (from red to black to green) mean something because it looks like they
      were on sinners and saints. Also another discussion point within in this
      is whether or not these are just linen braies or because linen doesn’t
      take a natural/period dye that well, were they wool.

      Enjoy!

      Kat

      Lady Katharine Devereaux
      Kingdom of Atlantia
      Barony of Ponte Alto

      Message 2 of 10 , May 7, 2004
        Greetings to the group -

        i have followed all threads recently with interest but this is my
        first group posting ever so I hope I do it right.

        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Katharine Devereaux"
        <katdevereaux@h...> wrote:
        > Greetings,
        >
        > This same topic has been discussed as of recently on the Armour
        Archive
        > Board, www.armourarchive.org <http://www.armourarchive.org/> .
        >
        > http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=30081
        >
        > The current discussion is on some pics of colored braies that were
        found
        > (a whole collection) and now they are discussing whether the colors
        > (from red to black to green) mean something because it looks like
        they
        > were on sinners and saints.
        > Also another discussion point within in this
        > is whether or not these are just linen braies or because linen
        doesn't
        > take a natural/period dye that well, were they wool.

        I am interested in 16th Century braies, but previous research lines
        usually described earlier "boxer" types and then ended saying that
        later braies were like "Jockey" shorts - this is a much appreciated
        series of period illustrations. But I have a couple further
        questions:

        1. How would they be kept tight? I understand earlier braies had
        draw strings but these appear to be a flat fabric waistband.

        2. Any suggestions on patterns? I am new to sewing and the first two
        simple items I designed ended up very different than the design!

        3. I have been acquiring linen and will probably sew a few braies
        from linen scraps, but they are all natural or bleached - any
        suggestions on dyes I could at least try (and try, and try, if they
        fade as reported)?

        Thank you for your assistance.

        Peregrine Falconer, the Navigator
        (Whose desire for authenticity overreaches both his knowledge and
        ability)