Re: Criss Cross Lacing

  • demontsegur
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2004
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Hasoferet@a... wrote:
      > wouldn't have any concerns about reproducing a dress style from a
      Ghirlandaio
      > portrait.

      Neither would I, if I were making _that_ gown. I just wouldn't take
      that one example and apply it across other decades, cultures,
      styles, etc. I don't necessarily think that's what Alcy's point in
      posting the picture was, but for purposes of accuracy and diligence,
      it's probably worth putting these qualifiers on any one seeming
      exception to broader trends.

      -Marcele
    • Wisby
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2004
        I believe this was posted in reference and reply to a question I had asked a month or so ago asking about lacing, crosslacing, and applications. ( while learning about wickelbander/norse legwraps )
        I did find the portrait to be a helpful illustration,understanding that I would not be then expected to use it as permission, as it were, to be lazy on other garments.
        Thank you for posting the picture, its likely I never would have seen it otherwise.

        In Service,
        AEsa

        Also, the question is begged: if 80-99% of the evidence points in
        one direction but you've found smaller possible evidence here and
        there, is the point then to reproduce the exception or to reproduce
        the rule? I tend to favor the 'rule' in recreating material culture;
        YMMV.

        -Marcele