Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Criss Cross Lacing

  • Hasoferet@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2004
      In a message dated 4/30/2004 8:48:42 PM Pacific Standard Time,
      demontsegur@... writes:

      > Also, the question is begged: if 80-99% of the evidence points in
      > one direction but you've found smaller possible evidence here and
      > there, is the point then to reproduce the exception or to reproduce
      > the rule? I tend to favor the 'rule' in recreating material culture;
      > YMMV.

      Depends how much of a sample there is, and how solid the evidence is. I
      wouldn't have any concerns about reproducing a dress style from a Ghirlandaio
      portrait.

      Raquel
    • demontsegur
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2004
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Hasoferet@a... wrote:
        > wouldn't have any concerns about reproducing a dress style from a
        Ghirlandaio
        > portrait.

        Neither would I, if I were making _that_ gown. I just wouldn't take
        that one example and apply it across other decades, cultures,
        styles, etc. I don't necessarily think that's what Alcy's point in
        posting the picture was, but for purposes of accuracy and diligence,
        it's probably worth putting these qualifiers on any one seeming
        exception to broader trends.

        -Marcele
      • Wisby
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2004
          I believe this was posted in reference and reply to a question I had asked a month or so ago asking about lacing, crosslacing, and applications. ( while learning about wickelbander/norse legwraps )
          I did find the portrait to be a helpful illustration,understanding that I would not be then expected to use it as permission, as it were, to be lazy on other garments.
          Thank you for posting the picture, its likely I never would have seen it otherwise.

          In Service,
          AEsa