Re: late 15th C florentine gamurra

  • Nibuca
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2004
      Alexia said:

      > My question right now refers to bust support, and
      > how to hide it.

      Hi Alexia,

      I usually wear a little later style Italian,
      1520-1580.

      When I first made my Italian I was very worried about
      support. I'm not a small person and I have a lot that
      needs support.

      Originally I followed Jen's plans and made a hemp
      corded bodice as a separate layer to go under my
      dress. I found it exceptionally difficult to keep the
      support layer hidden. I also found it to be warmer
      than I wanted (camping in 90 degree heat with one more
      layer was just too hot). After about 6 months of
      wearing the corded bodice I started wearing my Italian
      gown without the corded bodice. I found that just the
      dress gives enough support to keep me happy.

      Yes, I have wrinkles.. but frankly, I had wrinkles
      when I wore the corded bodice.

      Teal gown:
      http://www.fibergeek.com/img/MistsSpringCoronet2004/Teal_frontshot1.jpg
      http://www.fibergeek.com/img/MistsSpringCoronet2004/Teal_frontshot2.jpg
      http://www.fibergeek.com/img/MistsSpringCoronet2004/Teal_backshot.jpg

      The bodice of the gown is two layers of medium weight
      linen. If I was using lighter weight linen I'd have
      used one or two layers of heavier linen in between the
      fashion fabrics to give it strength.

      When I made the corded bodice I found that it smoothed
      out some of my bumps.. but in some cases it just
      carefully curved around my less appealing bulges. In
      order to get a relatively smooth appearance I ended up
      adding boning.

      If I were still trying to use cording for support I
      would probably add it directly to the bodice of the
      gown rather than treat it as a separate garment.

      Lady Sylvie la Chardonni�re
      West Kingdom, Province of the Mists