Re: sources for period pouch patterns

  • Aliskye
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 26, 2004
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "ladymorwenna"
      <ladymorwenna@y...> wrote:

      > The V&A has at least 4 embroidered drawstring pouches from the late
      > 16th century. You can see one of them here:
      > http://elizabethangeek.com/katrowberd/projects/2003-sweetbag/
      >
      > The purses are about 4 X 5 inches or there abouts (just happened to
      be
      > looking at them in the V&A embroidery book this morning). They have
      > double drawstring running through eyelets (not throught a casing!.
      > There's a hanging string as well, so you don't have to thread you
      belt
      > through the end of the drawstrings and fuss whenever you want to get
      > your stuff out.
      >
      > I'm making one of this design (appliqued with a slip rather than
      > embroidered all over) for my apprentice and I'll let you know if I
      > discovery anything interesting during the construction.
      >
      > --Morwenna

      I'm making one as well, but completely embroidered. A friend,
      Mistress Eowyn Amberdrake is writing a book on Elizabethan sweetbags
      (actually it may be two books now, one on historical samples and one
      on how to make your own) and has done a tremendous amount of
      research. I've learned alot from looking over her shoulder :) and
      can't wait for her book to be completed.

      regards,

      aliskye