Re: How would Mistress Julian have managed?

  • eightplusfive
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 26, 2004
      I am most grateful for thy kindness, m'lord, and thy counsel.

      Indeed, I am not totally destitute, for my lord Edmund left our home
      and its accouterments, and even his older sword, to me. These are most
      helpful, but will not put food upon my plate tomorrow.

      For these many years I have helped my husband in his work,
      particularly as he has often been away in search of goods. Thus, I am
      not unskilled to undertake the work of a merchant. However, our best
      (and often only) customer for these many years has been the Priory,
      and it has come to my ears that the good Prior has given to Edmund the
      task of continuing to provide desired goods, continuing as he had done
      before taking Orders. Indeed, it should not be a surprise that the
      Prior would not turn to me, as even before leaving me Edmund had
      voiced his concerns about my Lollard leanings to the Prior. How can
      the Church look for merchantile service from one who objects to the
      Church's excesses?

      Merton Priory owns most of the lands for many miles, and its tenents
      fare badly (although the tithing barns are kept full and the Prior's
      fields are always tilled, even when those of his tenets lie fallow and
      the people go hungry). There are few who can afford other than basic
      needs; without the Priory's patronage, there is little need for those
      of the merchantile class. Thus, I seek my sustenance elsewhere.

      At your service,

      Julian de Merton
      Kingdom of Drachenwald

      P.S. From one 'Julian' to another, my mundane thanks; this is just the
      type of feedback I need, since I want my persona to be as accurate to
      the times as possible. Most of the background--the history of Merton
      and the Priory--is substantiated by historical record, but I also want
      to get to grips with how Julian herself would have behaved and thought
      in light of the circumstances. Any comments, pro or con, gratefully
      received. Deb