Sephardic resources

  • Sabine
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2004
      Bonjour mes amis!

      My husband has decided to shift persona; he's finding himself
      fascinated by Jewish life in 9th- and 10th-century Spain (I'm letting
      him get away with not being French *only* because this gives me an
      excuse to play some of those gorgeous Sephardic melodies <grin>). He's
      already got a good book or two focusing on social and religious
      history, but is having trouble turning up information on clothing
      choices (for instance, he's been seeing conflicting opinions on whether
      a Jewish man would have worn a turban or not).

      Anyone have any good, reliable sources? I checked our link list and
      files, but no go... I've given him my tattered copy of _The Lions of
      Al-Rassan_, but I don't think that's going to help much in terms of
      documentation. ;)

      -Sabine

      =====
    • Hasoferet@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2004
        In a message dated 4/2/2004 12:37:22 PM Pacific Standard Time,
        SabineKdL@... writes:

        > My husband has decided to shift persona; he's finding himself
        > fascinated by Jewish life in 9th- and 10th-century Spain (I'm letting
        > him get away with not being French *only* because this gives me an
        > excuse to play some of those gorgeous Sephardic melodies <grin>). He's
        > already got a good book or two focusing on social and religious
        > history, but is having trouble turning up information on clothing
        > choices (for instance, he's been seeing conflicting opinions on whether
        > a Jewish man would have worn a turban or not).
        >
        > Anyone have any good, reliable sources? I checked our link list and
        > files, but no go... I've given him my tattered copy of _The Lions of
        > Al-Rassan_, but I don't think that's going to help much in terms of
        > documentation. ;)

        Dear God, no, it won't. He may enjoy it, though. ;)

        That's so early it makes my ears bleed, but I would suggest a look at Eliyahu
        Ashtor's _The Jews of Muslim Spain_, which I think focuses around that
        period, and has some information about clothing and daily life, although I don't
        know how detailed it is. It's OLD, a books go, but I think still fairly well
        thought of. Ignore the bits about women staying home and heeding their husband's
        every word, Ashtor is projecting. ;)

        Couldn't help on the turban thing. Al-Andalus was rather more liberal than
        points east, and in those centuries the Jewish community was well-thought-of and
        wealthy. I am aware that Jewish men at various times and places under Islam
        did, did not, and were forbidden to, wear turbans, and at times their color was
        restricted, but for that particular time and place I couldn't tell you....uh,
        checked a few sources, still can't tell you. See what Ashtor gives him.

        Good luck!

        Raquel
      • Wendy
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 9, 2004
          Grrrr. I just noticed that Yahoo apparently ate a message of mine a
          couple of days ago, so I'll try again:

          Many thanks to those who sent help on- and off-list! Darmyn (soon to
          be Nissim, or maybe something else <grin>) sends his thanks as well.
          If he turns up any particularly interesting details, I'll pass them
          along...

          -Sabine