RE: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Quilted caps? or other ideas

  • Talia
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2004
      Quilted shoes would be smashing, and documentable!

      Talia
    • kittencat3@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2004
        Okay, here goes:

        1. There was a type of small indoor cap called a kalautah worn by the Mameluks in the 14th century. It could very definitely be quilted. The example I'm familiar with was silk, six sectioned crown quilted with red silk in the backstitch in a Tumbling Blocks pattern. I don't have the reference off the top of my head, but there's a good picture in a book on Mameluk art.

        2. An Elizabethan style cap or coif could be quilted; there's a reference in Averil Colby to a man attributing good health to discarding his quilted nightcap and wearing one of wool. These caps were probably similar to the stuffed and corded quilting of Marseilles as pictured in Kathryn Berenson's book on the quilts of provence.

        3. A quilted slipper from the 9th century was found in a rubbish tip in Samarkand. There's a picture in Jill Liddell and Yuko Watanabe's book on Japanese quilts.

        If you need more information, let me know. I'd be happy to assist you.

        Sarah Davies
      • Alanfrize@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2, 2004
          > >I am desperately <g> trying to rack my brain for ideas for a small
          > project using decorative quilting. =

          How about a tea cosy?

          Alan
        • Chris Laning
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2, 2004
            Woohoo! Thanks! I _thought_ I remembered something of the kind.

            If you wouldn't mind, could you e-mail me off list about the names of sources, etc. for #1 and #3? Thanks again!

            Christian de Holacombe

[...]

            0 Chris Laning
            | <claning@...>
            + Davis, California