Re: bath towels,Lady Nisaa...

  • femme delyon
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2004
      hello all,
      just to be sure is she a small-ish blond lady who wears glasses and a nose ring? married to ajax? if so i think they have moved to my barony and i can hit the local list to get her e-mail. yis, johanna von nurnberg,caid

    • sue_clemenger
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 31, 2004
        Linen towels are one of my "excuses" for wanting to learn to weave.
        I'm hoping to make my first ones out of Cotolin this summer.
        (Cotolin is a cotton-linen blend, and is a little easier for a newbie
        weaver like me to work with than 100% linen.)
        If you're thinking of buying (or making) linen towels (of whatever
        size) for your SCA use, I'd strongly recommend using linen that's got
        a twill weave, at the very least. The large majority of linen bits
        that I know of as having survived are different kinds of twill
        weaves. Uh, let me rephrase that....The extant linens bits from
        earlier in the SCA time period are usually a twill weave. I've seen
        tabby-woven linen in extant garments, but I just betcha that the
        toweling would still be some sort of twill.
        Why? you might ask....well, apparently the structure of the twill
        weaves ensure that the linen thread sits on the surface of the
        fabric longer than with a tabby weave, in which it goes over, under,
        over, under, etc. With twill weaves, the warp and weft threads go
        over each other more like over, over, under, over, over, under (for a
        small example). More exposure of the yarn/thread on the surface of
        the textile means that it's (in this case) more absorbent.
        Folks who are interested in linen towels and weaving and such should
        check out the following:
        a recent _CA_ on making Perugia towels
        Thora Sharptooth's website, which has some very interesting things on
        it, including some recreated linen weaves
        and there's a medieval weaving group as part of the Complex Weavers,
        and a fair amount of their stuff is available on-line (www.complex-
        weavers.org). Very much worth checking out!
        -just my two euro worth,
        maire
      • Willow Polson
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 31, 2004
          At 09:10 PM 3/31/2004 +0000, you wrote:

          >Folks who are interested in linen towels and weaving and such should
          >check out the following:
          >a recent _CA_ on making Perugia towels

          Sorry to be dense.... what's CA?

          Rev. Willow Polson www.willowsplace.com
          Give my Pagan Paradise Live365 Radio Station a listen!
          http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/directory.cgi?autostart=willowpolson
        • wodeford
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 31, 2004
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Willow Polson <willow@c...>
            wrote:
            > Sorry to be dense.... what's CA?

            The Compleat Anachronist.
            http://www.sca.org/ca/

            As opposed to TI, which is Tournaments Illuminated.

            Jehanne
          • Khazi bint Hakim
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 1, 2004
              that would be the Nissa I know :)

              femme delyon <femmedelyon@...> wrote:hello all,
              just to be sure is she a small-ish blond lady who wears glasses and a nose ring? married to ajax? if so i think they have moved to my barony and i can hit the local list to get her e-mail. yis, johanna von nurnberg,caid

              Lady Khazima bint Hakim