Re: Ermine and cats

  • neimhaille
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 5, 2004
      > > Aparently the ermine was a heraldic figure of Lodovica (the lady
      > > purported t be his mistress) and the ermine istelf is loaded down
      > > with being a symbol of purity.

      > Not quite. The lady in question, Cecilia Gallarani, was indeed
      Ludovico
      > Sforza's mistress. The ermine is allegedly a caricature of
      Ludovico himself, and
      > the one full face portrait I've seen of him does bear a startling
      resemblance
      > to the ermine.

      heh, I wrote it at night, I meant Lodovico, not Gallarani.

      The other theory is the ermine is visual pun on her surname, with the
      Greek name (I think, much has happened in the time since I posted)
      for ermine... it was in one of those links I posted last time.

      I'd have said that was taking it a bit far, but then this is Leonardo
      we are talking about as the artist;) Not sure how good his Greek was
      however;)

      michaela
      http://glittersweet.com