Re: [Authentic_SCA] looking for suggestions

  • Ro
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2004
      personally I vote for Italian 15th century. The clothing is easily made (I
      can turn out a completed bodice in half an hour - the pleating of the skirt
      takes a bit longer).

      Depending upon how much of the century you chose to depict, men's clothing
      goes from floor sweeping tunics to the waist length doublets and tights (ala
      Zefferelli's R&J).

      I am a ~ Fluffy ~ woman (becoming less so, but it comes off MUCH slower than
      it went on!) and can make a decent Italian gown out of about 4 yards of 45"
      fabric. At 5' 2", even 45" fabric will need some trimming in the skirt (or
      hems of 6-8"...), which leaves enough for covering hats, piecing out
      sleeves, etc. The bodice takes less than 1 yard, and I usually line in
      either muslin or linen.

      It's cooler in summer, easy to get in and out of, one bodice pattern results
      in several different looks dependent upon lacing placement (front, back,
      side). There are several good places on the web for instructions on making
      Italian gowns.

      I believe the Simplicity men's cioppa pattern is still available, and it
      gives the correct look - altho the upholstery looking fabric looks odd and
      the hat definitely needs work.

      Regards,

      Ro

      http://quiz.ravenblack.net/blood.pl?biter=Ro