Re: Don Gato (was:What's your "thing"?)

  • Marc Carlson
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 2 8:09 PM
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "MMM" <marshamclean@r...> wrote:
      > <G> /I/ know that, but there's the old thing where one asks what
      > X(eel, rattler, whatever) meat tastes like and the answer is always
      > "tastes just like chicken".
      > Madinia, mebbe not so funny...

      Pterodactyl.

      Don't mind me, I'm just missing my sense of humor lately...

      Marc/Diarmaid
    • Lyle H. Gray
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 2 8:20 PM
        On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 kittencat3@... wrote:

        > Actually, alligators taste very much like dark meat chicken.
        > And frog legs taste like white meat. Strange, but true!
        >
        > Sarah Davies
        > [who has sampled both alligator and frog, and rather liked them]

        Having eaten way too many chickens in my lifetime [1], as well as
        a few frog legs [2], I would actually say that frog does _not_
        taste like chicken. And eel _definitely_ does not taste like
        chicken. Or frog, for that matter.

        Now, how to get this back on topic? Make reference to the French
        farce, _The Eel Pie and the Tart_[3]? Or ask what other sorts of
        exotic foods appeared on medieval tables [4]? Or ask how people
        reacted to unusual foods being served?

        Regards,
        Lyle FitzWilliam

        [1] When I was growing up on the family farm, there were periods
        of time when we were raising chickens, up to 3000 at a time.
        Free range chickens. I understand Chaos theory...

        [2] Hunted the frogs myself, with a frog spear.

        [3] In one English translation, the title was changed to _The
        Chicken Pie and the Chocolate Cake_. The story doesn't depend on
        the food, but finding out that the original had an eel pie was
        quite ... enlightening.

        [4] Roast cat has already been covered.

        --
        Lyle H. Gray
        gray@... -- text only, please
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 3 6:17 AM
          Make reference to the French
          > farce, _The Eel Pie and the Tart_[3]? Or ask what other sorts of
          > exotic foods appeared on medieval tables [4]? Or ask how people
          > reacted to unusual foods being served?

          Eel pie is a wonderful dish, IMO. Exotic is in the eye of the
          beholder. I think eel pie is perfectly normal, as is hossenfeffer,
          stuffed venison roast,chard tart, and cabbage salad. :) I figure if
          it's being served, it's probably eatable so I try it. If I don't
          like it, I just don't take more. Simple.

          Smiles,
          Despina