Re: What's your "thing"?

  • ACatelli@manafortbrothers.com
    Message 1 of 54 , Mar 2, 2004
      Dolls.
      Specifically rag dolls, meaning cloth dolls, previous use & incarnation as
      clothing or what-have-you optional.

      Making dolls has been an interest of mine for more than 25 years & clothing
      them for longer.

      Dolls lead me into costume; costume & the bicentennial lead me into textile
      arts.

      So: Sewing;
      Costume history, centered around France early 15th c. at the moment &
      will be around Milan if I can find sources c. 1400;
      Card weaving; my next project to thread up will be a sampler of the
      various two-colored threaded AB dark/ CD light techniques;
      About 300 dolls in various stages;
      Nalbinding, a couple of stitches learned so far;
      Designing dolls, &c.

      I have done: crochet, tatting (both starting late 18th century at the
      earliest); knitting mostly stockings; finger- and plate weaving; basic
      macrame.

      Hmm, haven't done sprang yet.

      Also interested in non-SCA period clothing & fantasy clothing, especially
      designing for the Future Fashion Folio at Costume-Cons. Tech at SF cons.

      Ann in CT
      Cecilia of Great Swamp the Dollmaker
      BBM, East
    • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
      Message 54 of 54 , Mar 6, 2004
        > How about you, or anyone else on
        >this list, do you have any good sources or theories on period
        >basketry?

        There is a yahoo group for basketry too.