Help!!!!!

  • Ro
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2004
      What have I gotten myself into??? I'll be stepping up as MOAS in May, and
      in October, Bright Hills will be holding its traditional TnT - this year's
      theme is Viking/Beowulf.

      Viking is Not My Period (tm) and so I turn to you folks. Can you recommend
      some Viking period arts or point me toward some resources? I've already
      googled and found not a lot.

      Thanks!

      Ro
      http://quiz.ravenblack.net/blood.pl?biter=Ro
    • aheilvei
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2004
        > Viking is Not My Period (tm) and so I turn to you folks. Can you
        recommend some Viking period arts or point me toward some
        resources? I've already googled and found not a lot.

        From the links section for the group - in the file
        named, "clothing" - Despina

        http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/viktunic.html
        Viking Tunic Construction

        http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/qdirtyvk.html
        A Quick and Dirty Look at Viking Women's Garb in the Ninth and Tenth
        Centuries

        In addition, these should help you a bit. - Despina

        http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/vikresource.html
        Viking Resources for the Re-enactor

        http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/vikembroid.html
        Viking Embroidery Stitches and Motifs

        http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/metaltrims.html
        Metallic Trims for Some Early Period Personae
      • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2004
          >What have I gotten myself into??? I'll be stepping up as MOAS in May, and
          >in October, Bright Hills will be holding its traditional TnT - this year's
          >theme is Viking/Beowulf.
          >
          >Viking is Not My Period (tm) and so I turn to you folks. Can you recommend
          >some Viking period arts or point me toward some resources? I've already
          >googled and found not a lot.
          >
          >Thanks!

          Let me second the recommendation of Thora's website, but here are a few more

          http://www.havenonline.com/moas/northstar/vol2no3/vikingkitchen.htm
          http://www.vestrusvikingships.org/realviking/
          http://www.forest.gen.nz/Medieval/articles/Viborg/SEAMS.HTM
          http://www.siida.fi/english/kalenteri/en_inarinnanguniemenhopeaaarre_tiedote.htm
          http://branclub.narod.ru/engl/mainen.htm#Beg
          http://www.siida.fi/english/kalenteri/en_inarinnanguniemenhopeaaarre_tiedote.htm
          http://www.apollon.uio.no/2000_english/articles/kaupang.shtml
          http://www.owlsprings.com/EuropeanCuisines/iceland.html
          http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/
          http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/daily_living/text/food_and_diet.htm

          There is also an excellent Viking mailing list. They recently moved
          to a new group, but most of the files are at the old one, I'd
          recommend subscribing to to both. This is also an excellent place to
          ask specific questions.

          Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

          Ranvaig
        • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2004
            >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Norsefolk

            Sorry, I was out of date, the old group is now called Norsefolkarchives
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NorsefolkArchives/
            but you dont need to subscribe to it, the archives are publicly available.

            Ranvaig
          • Hrothny
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 2, 2004
              > What have I gotten myself into??? I'll be stepping up as MOAS in May, and
              > in October, Bright Hills will be holding its traditional TnT - this year's
              > theme is Viking/Beowulf.
              >
              > Viking is Not My Period (tm) and so I turn to you folks. Can you
              recommend
              > some Viking period arts or point me toward some resources? I've already
              > googled and found not a lot.
              >
              > Thanks!
              >
              > Ro

              A lot of us Vikings will be at Kingdom Arts and Sciences Festival (Atlantia)
              this weekend - you wants I should bring a few references works and spend
              some time pointing out folks who'd be good resources in your area?

              Hrothny (Rosine)
            • Karen
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 2, 2004
                Hi, Ro!

                You might want to talk to the autocrat -- I think she's spoken to
                several folks about coming up to teach classes on Viking-related
                subjects, and she may have some ideas on A&S displays or competitions
                as well.

                Karen

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 2, 2004
                  I'm working with her, but the point of MY coordinating A&S is to take some
                  stress off Dame Alianora's shoulders.

                  Not that it seems to be working. *Sigh*

                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 2, 2004
                    I won't be at Kingdom A&S - I'll be working. (I hate it when Real Life (tm)
                    gets in the way of Fun Life.)

                    I will be in touch with you off list shortly - you are one of the folks I
                    want to come up and teach and judge.

                    Only the Best for Bright Hills!

                    Ro

                    http://quiz.ravenblack.net/blood.pl?biter=Ro
                    > > What have I gotten myself into??? I'll be stepping up as MOAS in May,
                    and
                    > > in October, Bright Hills will be holding its traditional TnT - this
                    year's
                    > > theme is Viking/Beowulf.
                    > >
                    > > Viking is Not My Period (tm) and so I turn to you folks. Can you
                    > recommend
                    > > some Viking period arts or point me toward some resources? I've already
                    > > googled and found not a lot.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks!
                    > >
                    > > Ro
                    >
                    > A lot of us Vikings will be at Kingdom Arts and Sciences Festival
                    (Atlantia)
                    > this weekend - you wants I should bring a few references works and spend
                    > some time pointing out folks who'd be good resources in your area?
                    >
                    > Hrothny (Rosine)

                  • Ro
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 2, 2004
                      And if this sounded snarky - I apologize. I'm in a great deal of pain -
                      shoulder sprain and the pain killers from the ER haven't completely kicked
                      in.
                      If I didn't have spell check on this machine, you wouldn't be able to read
                      this.

                      I have her list of who's teaching what, I'm trying to add on to it. So,
                      Karen Lars-etc. wanna come and teach in Bright Hills? And BRing tha t
                      amazing painted chest that won at Holiday Faire?

                      Ro the starting to be woozy

                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 3, 2004
                        Well, the IKEA toybox isn't really much like Viking woodworking at all.
                        Wooden boxes from the Viking era are much more about interesting
                        angles than the plain old right-angle six-panel boxes that start
                        appearing later on.

                        But I can send (off-list) some suggestions for some potential teachers,
                        if you'd like, and I'd be happy to chat with you about A&S stuff for
                        the event. :)

                        Karen Larsdatter
                        (whose name is not nearly as complicated as it used to be) :P

                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 3, 2004
                          yes, please and thank you. (I tried to reply off list, but for some reason
                          yahoo won't deliver)