extant smocking

  • dannw@pathcom.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 20, 2001
      Greetings,

      For all you smocking enthusiasts. I think I may have found an extant
      example:
      http://www.virtue.to/articles/images/1520s_real_mary_bodice.jpg

      Cheers,
      Gwendoline
    • Cynthia Virtue
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 20, 2001
        > http://www.virtue.to/articles/images/1520s_real_mary_bodice.jpg

        Might be useful to give the URL of the page which this comes from, as
        several versions of this dress and other extant clothing items are
        available therefrom:

        http://www.virtue.to/articles/extant.html

        --
        Cynthia du Pré Argent (Hartshorn-dale, East)

        "We'll never know the whole truth, I suppose," said Venier. "You can be
        told the whole truth all day long, but if you won't believe it, then no,
        I don't suppose you ever will know it," Miles replied. -- _Komarr_
      • Anabella
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 20, 2001
          --- dannw@... wrote:

          Greetings,

          For all you smocking enthusiasts. I think I may have
          found an extant example:

          http://www.virtue.to/articles/images/1520s_real_mary_bodice.jpg

          Cheers
          Gwendoline<<<

          Just out of curiosity Gwendoline, do you think it's
          possible that, even thought the gown is dated to 1520,
          that the chemise it's displayed with isn't? It
          certainly doesn't look like any from that time period
          that I've seen....but that's not proof of much appart
          from my lack of knowledge on other times and places...

          Bella Lucia da Verona

          PS...I know this is probably late, having to deal with
          the international time line as I do, but I hope your
          elevation ceremony goes well...and congrats once
          again! :)

          http://store.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Store
          - It's time you had your business online!
        • Cynthia Virtue
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 21, 2001
            > Just out of curiosity Gwendoline, do you think it's
            > possible that, even thought the gown is dated to 1520,
            > that the chemise it's displayed with isn't?

            Anything is possible, but the museum says that the smock is part of the
            orginal ensemble. I have friends who are Hungarian and have visited it
            recently; they may have more information. I'll see what I can find out.

            --
            Cynthia du Pré Argent (Hartshorn-dale, East)

            One should also be careful about making blanket statements about
            historical events. Even statements about making blanket statements. --
            Alban and others
          • Anabella
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 21, 2001
              --- Cynthia Virtue <cvirtue@...> wrote:

              Anything is possible, but the museum says that the
              smock is part of the orginal ensemble. I have friends
              who are Hungarian and have visited it
              recently; they may have more information. I'll see
              what I can find out.<<<

              Cool! Thanks Cynthia. You know I was thinking about
              the discussion recently - can't remember if it was
              here or on the garb list - regarding the way some
              museums mislabel things sometimes. It was a thought.
              :)

              Bella

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 22, 2001
                My hungarian friend has sent me a scan of the cutting diagram/layout for
                this outfit and I will put it up on my website shortly. I've asked her
                for the source & date so we can guess if it's believable vs. imaginary,
                like, say, some of the layouts in Kohler.

                --

              • aheilvei@uiuc.edu
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 23, 2001
                  --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Cynthia Virtue <cvirtue@t...> wrote:

                  > > Just out of curiosity Gwendoline, do you think it's
                  > > possible that, even thought the gown is dated to 1520,
                  > > that the chemise it's displayed with isn't?
                  >
                  > Anything is possible, but the museum says that the smock is part of
                  the orginal ensemble. I have friends who are Hungarian and have
                  visited it recently; they may have more information. I'll see what I
                  can find out.

                  Cynthia,

                  I have a desperate and urgent desire to make this dress, I even have
                  a lovely blue jaquard fabric for it. However, I have a number of
                  questions about it. If you know anything on it's construction such
                  as closures - where they are and what they are - I would be forever
                  grateful. Please feel free to mail me off list.

                  Thanks,
                  Despina
                • aheilvei@uiuc.edu
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 23, 2001
                    --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Cynthia Virtue <cvirtue@t...> wrote:
                    > My hungarian friend has sent me a scan of the cutting
                    diagram/layout for this outfit and I will put it up on my website
                    shortly. I've asked her for the source & date so we can guess if
                    it's believable vs. imaginary, like, say, some of the layouts in
                    Kohler.

                    *sob* Thank you! *sob* *hiccough* *sob* thank you so much!
                    *sob* you have no idea how much *hiccough* this means to some *sob*
                    of us.......

                    Despina
                    the eternally grateful
                  • dannw@pathcom.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 23, 2001
                      Greetings,

                      > For all you smocking enthusiasts. I think I may have
                      > found an extant example:
                      >
                      > http://www.virtue.to/articles/images/1520s_real_mary_bodice.jpg
                      >
                      > Cheers
                      > Gwendoline<<<
                      >
                      > Just out of curiosity Gwendoline, do you think it's
                      > possible that, even thought the gown is dated to 1520,
                      > that the chemise it's displayed with isn't? It
                      > certainly doesn't look like any from that time period
                      > that I've seen....but that's not proof of much appart
                      > from my lack of knowledge on other times and places...

                      Actually, since posting that I have found out that apparently, not
                      even the museum has a clue if the smock is concurrent with the gown.
                      So, in truth it isn't a good example since no one knows exactly *when*
                      it's from... Sorry. : )

                      > Bella Lucia da Verona
                      >
                      > PS...I know this is probably late, having to deal with
                      > the international time line as I do, but I hope your
                      > elevation ceremony goes well...and congrats once
                      > again! :)

                      Thank you. It went well and I survived it... <G>

                      Cheers,
                      Gwendoline
                    • dannw@pathcom.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 23, 2001
                        --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., aheilvei@u... wrote:
                        > --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Cynthia Virtue <cvirtue@t...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > Just out of curiosity Gwendoline, do you think it's
                        > > > possible that, even thought the gown is dated to 1520,
                        > > > that the chemise it's displayed with isn't?
                        > >
                        > > Anything is possible, but the museum says that the smock is part
                        of
                        > the orginal ensemble. I have friends who are Hungarian and have
                        > visited it recently; they may have more information. I'll see what
                        > can find out.
                        >
                        > Cynthia,
                        >
                        > I have a desperate and urgent desire to make this dress, I even have
                        > a lovely blue jaquard fabric for it. However, I have a number of
                        > questions about it. If you know anything on it's construction such
                        > as closures - where they are and what they are - I would be forever
                        > grateful. Please feel free to mail me off list.

                        Actually, this gown is on my long list of things to do as well... : )
                        However, Drea has a copy of a German article that shows the
                        construction and drafts out the pattern... : )

                        Cheers,
                        Gwendoline
                      • Cynthia Virtue
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 23, 2001
                          Despina wrote:
                          > *sob* Thank you! *sob* *hiccough* *sob* thank you so much!
                          > *sob* you have no idea how much *hiccough* this means to some *sob*
                          > of us.......

                          Now, now, dear. It'll be up soon -- just ironing out how to attribute
                          my translator properly. (Meanwhile, for the hat mavens out there,
                          there's a new article on my theory about the little black band, and for
                          you fighters, the pictures from the Crosston Birthday Pas are up. Go to
                          my site http://www.virtue.to and then to the articles section.)

                          --
                          Cynthia du Pré Argent (Hartshorn-dale, East)

                          One should also be careful about making blanket statements about
                          historical events. Even statements about making blanket statements. --
                          Alban and others
                        • L Joseph
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 23, 2001
                            --- Cynthia Virtue <cvirtue@...> wrote:
                            Go to
                            > my site http://www.virtue.to and then to the
                            > articles section.)

                            Lots of nifty stuff in here! May have to try to make
                            silly hats - now my hair's getting almost long enough
                            to do Princess Leia Donuts. (P.S., how drugged WERE
                            your cats when you put hats on 'em? I can barely get
                            collars on mine for trips to the vet._

                            Jehanne

                            =====
                            Alfred, Lord Tennyson, "In Memoriam."

                            http://auctions.yahoo.com/
                          • Cynthia Virtue
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 23, 2001
                              L Joseph wrote:
                              > how drugged WERE
                              > your cats when you put hats on 'em? I can barely get
                              > collars on mine for trips to the vet.

                              The hats didn't stay on very long, I assure you.

                              The semi-finished draft of the hungarian dress stuff is now up at
                              http://www.virtue.to/guest_authors/hungarian.html -- don't tell all your
                              friends for a day or two, because I want to correct a few little things,
                              but Despina looks so sad when she sobs, I can't make her wait any longer!

                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 23, 2001
                                > The semi-finished draft of the hungarian dress stuff is now up at
                                > http://www.virtue.to/guest_authors/hungarian.html -- don't tell all
                                your friends for a day or two, because I want to correct a few little
                                things, but Despina looks so sad when she sobs, I can't make her wait
                                any longer!

                                <prostrating self> *sob* thank you *hiccough* *sob*
                                <tears of joy> *sob* Thank You! *sob* (smile)

                                Despina the joyful