Re: [Authentic_SCA] Digest Number 2268

  • Carrie Barnes
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2004
      > Joining a household also provides new members with a "home base" so
      > to speak. If someone upsets them, they have older members to turn to
      > who will say, "There there. It's okay" or whatever needs to be done.

      Let me just say that joining a household before you get to know people is
      not a good idea. Had I joined a household right away I would not still be a
      part of the SCA, I found that those who would have taken me in right away
      are not those that I wish to continue associating with. I think it takes at
      least 6 months of active participation before you know where you might fit
      in and be happy. I'm going on 3 years in and I am slowly changing my focus
      and have just recently found my niche.

      Grainne mhic Nieill
    • uxbridgefox
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2004
        **Snip**

        > > Joining a household also provides new members with a "home base"

        **Snip**

        > joining a household before you get to know people is
        > not a good idea.

        We do not encourage our new members to join households until they
        know what they want from the SCA. I think it can limit who you meet
        and what you can become if you get into a household to early.

        Households are good when they are good and very bad when they are bad.

        Eleanor le Brun