101 Uses for a dead T-tunic....

  • Andrea Huwydd Lycsenbwrg
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 1, 2004
      Note: some of these only work if even back then you
      stuck to cotton or other natural fibres....

      1. Donate to Gold Key.
      2. Give to a nursery school or after-school program
      play dressup.
      3. Adapt for a Halloween costume.
      4. Cut up for patchwork.
      5. Recut and sew into mundane clothing.
      6. Use as a nightgown.
      7. Make dollclothes.
      8. Donate to a church for Nativity pageants.
      9. Wash and dry the car.
      10. Enter tacky garb contests.
      11. Teach a class using it as an example of what not
      to.
      12. Recut using an authentic pattern to try it out
      before cutting your $10/yard woolen.

      Anyone like to add to the list?

      I'm working on #12 now. My goal is mid-13th century
      Welsh, looking at the Peniarth 28 and Maciejowski
      Bible illustrations. I've got Kass's article on the
      St. Louis tunic and Cynthia Virtue's Practical
      Worksheet for Tunic Construction. Any suggestions,
      amendments,pitfalls, or advice?

      Diolch iti.

      Gweyrvyl

      http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
    • wodeford
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 1, 2004
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Andrea Huwydd Lycsenbwrg
        <huwydd@y...> wrote:
        >> I'm working on #12 now. My goal is mid-13th century
        > Welsh, looking at the Peniarth 28 and Maciejowski
        > Bible illustrations. I've got Kass's article on the
        > St. Louis tunic and Cynthia Virtue's Practical
        > Worksheet for Tunic Construction. Any suggestions,
        > amendments,pitfalls, or advice?

        I don't know if you're a machine or hand sewer, however, if you are a
        machine sewer, don't try to set the gore points in place with the
        machine. Get the points sewn in by hand, THEN you can machine sew the
        rest of the seams if you so desire. These tunic styles are pretty
        easy to put together, otherwise. I love 'em.

        Jehanne
      • Mary Taran
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 1, 2004
          >I can tell you now--pleating is a pain in the butt and you will get
          >sick of doing a running stitch. Once that's done, however, the
          >embroidery work is fairly quick and really satisfying. I did a cuff
          >in a few hours. I'll try taking pics, but I'm not sure how well it
          >will come out since it's white on white.
          >
          >Isabeau

          www.clotilde.com has pleating machines for people who do a lot of
          smocking. I understand they are fast and reliable.

          Mary Taran

        • Mary Taran
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 1, 2004
            At 12:21 PM 1/30/04, you wrote:
            >I ordered some of the 3.5 oz linen too. The threads are quite thick,
            >not set too closely together. It's not completely opaque, but quite
            >close. Washing it got it softer, but if anything more opaque, since
            >the threads shrank closer together and got a bit more fluffy. More
            >washing will get it still softer, I expect, but not finer.
            >
            >I got some of their mid-weight linen and its almost too coarse to be
            >used. On the other hand, the blue grey that I got is thin but dense
            >and drapable, and altogether yummy. They don't seem to list it any
            >more though.
            >
            >Ranvaig

            It is my understanding that the 3.5 they get is variable--sometimes it's
            thicker threads woven loosely, and other times it's finer all over. That
            is one problem with using weights as the delineation of a fabric's fineness
            or sheerness.

            Mary Taran

          • Andrea Huwydd Lycsenbwrg
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 1, 2004
              --- wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:

              > I don't know if you're a machine or hand sewer,

              Probably a combination - hand sewing on the parts that
              show, and machine on the long seams when my hands
              rebel or my eyes glaze over.

              > however, if you are a
              > machine sewer, don't try to set the gore points in
              > place with the
              > machine. Get the points sewn in by hand, THEN you
              > can machine sew the
              > rest of the seams if you so desire.

              I'm worried about those gores anyhow. I might put a
              center seam in just to make the gores a bit easier,
              the first time at least.

              How do you set in gore points without botching the
              whole thing?

              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 1, 2004
                <huwydd@y...> wrote:
                >> I'm worried about those gores anyhow. I might put a
                > center seam in just to make the gores a bit easier,
                > the first time at least.
                That does work pretty well.

                > How do you set in gore points without botching the
                > whole thing?

                Give yourself a fair seam allowance and pin the sucker!

                http://www.vertetsable.com/demos_goresgussets.htm has some info on
                doing this by machine or hand, complete with photos.

                Good luck,
                Jehanne
              • Heather Rose Jones
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 1, 2004
                  At 4:20 PM -0800 2/1/04, Andrea Huwydd Lycsenbwrg wrote:

                  >I'm worried about those gores anyhow. I might put a
                  >center seam in just to make the gores a bit easier,
                  >the first time at least.
                  >
                  >How do you set in gore points without botching the
                  >whole thing?

                  Here's my method.

                  1. Cut the slit in the main fabric up to around 2 inches from where
                  you expect it to end.

                  2. Take the gore and fold a seam-allowance-worth of fabric under
                  along the seams. Don't worry too much about the top being neat, but
                  find the theoretical "point" where your fold lines will meet.

                  3. Lay the gore onto the main fabric so that your folded edges are a
                  seam-allowance-worth from the slit edge (i.e., so that the two cut
                  edges line up underneath where you're not looking). Line up the
                  point of the folded gore to your theoretical top of the slit (that
                  you haven't cut up to yet).

                  4. Pin in place along both sides. Hold the panel up to see how it
                  hangs. The point may be funky, but there shouldn't be weird bunching
                  or pulling along the sides.

                  5. When you're happy, rearrange the pins so that you've got a more
                  traditional "pinned right sides together", but without moving the
                  pieces relative to each other. Don't worry about the top couple of
                  inches -- in fact, take out any pins in the top.

                  6. Sew the seams up to within a couple inches of the top -- stop at
                  whatever point it starts getting awkward. Sew both seams from the
                  same direction, either bottom up or top down (so if there's any minor
                  "fabric creep" it goes in the same direction).

                  7. Working from the right side, re-fold and re-pin your "point".
                  Hand sew the folded edges to the main panel with a whip stitch.

                  8. Turn to the "wrong" side again, carefully start snipping the
                  final part of your slit behind the point, but only as high as you
                  need to go so that the point lies elegantly on the right side. You
                  _don't_ want to snip all the way up to the "point".

                  9. Add seam finishes, if appropriate, but any machine work should
                  again stop a couple inches short of the point and be finished by hand.

                  Ok, so I don't actually do it this carefully and methodically all the
                  time, but if I were teaching someone, that's where I'd start them out.

                  For another angle, consider that at least on several garments with
                  this type of inset gore, the gore is slightly gathered at the top,
                  rather than being inserted with a crisp "point". The Saint Louis
                  tunic actually has a slight gathering to the point of the gore, and
                  there's a tunic in Hald (I forget the site name offhand) that has
                  several inches worth of "top" gathered or pleated into the insertion
                  point.

                  Tangwystyl
                  --
                  *****
                  Heather Rose Jones
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 1, 2004
                    On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, wodeford wrote:

                    > Give yourself a fair seam allowance and pin the sucker!
                    >
                    > http://www.vertetsable.com/demos_goresgussets.htm has some info on
                    > doing this by machine or hand, complete with photos.

                    You know, I'll have to save those. I could have used that advice on
                    several projects!

                    -Ii
                  • Lynn Meyer
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 1, 2004
                      > From: Heather Rose Jones <hrjones@...>
                      >Subject: Re: Re: 101 Uses for a dead T-tunic....
                      >
                      ><large snip>
                      >
                      >For another angle, consider that at least on several garments with
                      >this type of inset gore, the gore is slightly gathered at the top,
                      >rather than being inserted with a crisp "point". The Saint Louis
                      >tunic actually has a slight gathering to the point of the gore, and
                      >there's a tunic in Hald (I forget the site name offhand) that has
                      >several inches worth of "top" gathered or pleated into the insertion
                      >point.

                      Would you please explain that more? As in, is it the gore itself
                      that has gathering, or the main-panel that the gore is set into?

                      So far on two projects, I've been doing "machine-sew up to
                      the last few inches, then improvise something that won't fray
                      no matter how much I wash it", but I'm not satisfied with
                      how long it takes... I'm hoping that people in period
                      figured out something I can use!

                      I saw a "gathering" comment in your TI article on the St. Louis
                      tunic, but wasn't sure how to interpret it there either.

                      Thanks!
                      Halima
                      SCA: Halima de la Lucha, Crosston, Mists, West
                      (Silicon Valley (San Francisco Bay Area), CA, USA)
                      http://www.halimal.com

                      >Tangwystyl
                      >--
                      >*****
                      >Heather Rose Jones
                      >hrjones@...
                      >*****
                    • aheilvei
                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 2, 2004
                        > I also do a lot of book buying from used book sources such as
                        abebooks.com,
                        > bookfinder.com, half.com etc. Sometimes if you know the title of
                        the book
                        > you can get it a lot cheaper than Amazon wants to charge for it,
                        even if you
                        > use their link to bibliofind.com.

                        May I request that you add these sources to the booksellers folder?
                        After all, they're book sellers too and are used by a tremendous
                        number of people.

                        Smiles,
                        Despina
                      • Heather Rose Jones
                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 3, 2004
                          At 8:37 PM -0800 2/1/04, Lynn Meyer wrote:
                          > > From: Heather Rose Jones <hrjones@...>
                          >>Subject: Re: Re: 101 Uses for a dead T-tunic....
                          >>
                          >><large snip>
                          >>
                          >>For another angle, consider that at least on several garments with
                          >>this type of inset gore, the gore is slightly gathered at the top,
                          >>rather than being inserted with a crisp "point". The Saint Louis
                          >>tunic actually has a slight gathering to the point of the gore, and
                          >>there's a tunic in Hald (I forget the site name offhand) that has
                          >>several inches worth of "top" gathered or pleated into the insertion
                          >>point.
                          >
                          >Would you please explain that more? As in, is it the gore itself
                          >that has gathering, or the main-panel that the gore is set into?

                          The gore, rather than being a triangle, has the top point "cut off"
                          so that there is a flat top. (And I don't know why I'm utterly
                          blanking on the proper name for this in geometry.) The flat top is
                          slightly gathered and the seam path on the main panel is has more of
                          a rounded top rather than a point.

                          >So far on two projects, I've been doing "machine-sew up to
                          >the last few inches, then improvise something that won't fray
                          >no matter how much I wash it", but I'm not satisfied with
                          >how long it takes... I'm hoping that people in period
                          >figured out something I can use!

                          *laugh* But of course people in period had a solution that took even
                          _longer_! I honestly think that the "hand-sew the top of the gore"
                          method is the optimum balance between efficiency and good results.
                          It isn't even just the esthetics -- it's pretty much topologically
                          impossible to sew a pointed gusset entirely by machine unless you're
                          going for a two-part main panel instead.

                          Tangwystyl
                          --
                          *****
                          Heather Rose Jones