Re: Willow Polson

  • Kass McGann
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2004
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, lamiastrix@b... wrote:
      > Now if we could just somehow manage to split the SCA into 2
      groups... those of
      > us who actually have an interest in history and wish to become ever
      more
      > authentic as we progress... and those who want to wear poly T-
      tunics to
      > keggers. Each group could have thier own events and quit driving
      each other
      > crazy. As peeps from the poly T tunic crowd got interested in
      history they
      > might start making some more correct stuff and show up at the other
      group's
      > events when they felt like it but still have their comfy crowd to
      > whenever they wanted. And when I just really wanted an excuse to
      wear my
      > gorgeous American Tribal outfit I could go play with the poly T-
      tunic crowd who
      > wouldn't give me any grief for it. After all, hey authenticity
      mavins
      > sometimes like a cold brewsky too! ;) But I guess that would be too
      logical.
      > And then what would we have to complain about?
      > Regards,
      > Lucia, Newbie to the List

      No, the biggest problem would be figuring out where the dividing line
      falls.

      You know, Lucia, I was just thinking about this over the Christmas
      holidays. Okay... I was thinking about this as I sat watching
      LotR: Return of the King. =)

      They tell me (I wasn't around to see it) that the SCA used to be a
      place where you could wear a dress like Eowyn's and get away with
      it... where you could put Celtic knotwork all over everything and
      call yourself an Irish High Priestess... where you could make up
      tall stories about why you're wearing Middle Eastern garb today and
      Elizabethan for court.

      But you see, the SCA *still* is all these things. The SCA doesn't
      have any rules to prohibit someone from wearing an American Tribal
      outfit or a pair of sweatpants, tunic and biker boots.

      Now it's true that the A&S award orders are increasingly asking the
      question: "Does the candidate use period materials and techniques?"
      But I've certainly seen people get awards who were good artists but
      not concerned terribly much with reconstructing period artifacts.
      And as we've said before, you can be a very authentically-minded cook
      and not dress authentically at all. It doesn't matter in the SCA.

      And the SCA is never going to make a rule to restrict people. It's
      in the nature of the organization to accept everyone.

      As we keep saying: authenticity is not a Boolean operation. It is
      not on or off, true or false. You can be a little authentic. You
      can be authentic in some things and not in others. You can be
      authentically turned out one day and wearing a medeivaloid costume
      the next.

      I like the SCA because I have friends in the T-tunic and cold brewsky
      crowd (although I like my beer room temperature, thank you) and I
      like to play with them too.

      Kass
    • Willow Polson
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2004
        At 06:05 AM 2/1/2004 +0000, you wrote:
        >Now if we could just somehow manage to split the SCA into 2 groups...
        >those of
        >us who actually have an interest in history and wish to become ever more
        >authentic as we progress... and those who want to wear poly T-tunics to
        >keggers. Each group could have thier own events and quit driving each other
        >crazy.

        Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh yes. That truly would be wonderful. I think we've decided en
        masse sorta that the best way to do just that is to form groups within the
        SCA and lead by example... more "enchanted ground" type encampments, camp
        near your friends who are also being authentic, do the best job you can for
        your own enjoyment and some of it *will* rub off... after all, we all
        started someplace... and my husband and I started in cotton-poly too.

        I wonder if I'll find a magical forgotten stash of linen when I reorganize
        the shed this week...? 8-o

        Rev. Willow Polson www.willowsplace.com
        Give my Pagan Paradise Live365 Radio Station a listen!
        http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/directory.cgi?autostart=willowpolson