[Authentic_SCA] Re: Hosen

  • Heather Rose Jones
    Message 1 of 47 , Feb 1, 2004
      At 11:06 AM -0800 1/30/04, Diana Kolbe wrote:
      >I've recently started making a pair of chausses (not qutie
      >hosen, but they use similar construction and fitting
      >methods) based on a pattern I had stumbled upon in Costume
      >magazine (Christina Hawkins, 1971/2?). Has anyone here
      >seen the article enough to comment on authenticity - it's
      >supposedly 15th c. but was based on modern garments of a
      >religious order, and doesn't mention much in the way of
      >historical references. The pattern looks quite plausible,
      >though, and seems to be working (although my verdict is
      >still out).

      I've seen this article and I agree with some of the other comments --
      while the pattern has some interesting and clearly conservative
      features, the dating depends entirely on the assumption that the
      order's habits have been frozen unchanged since their founding, and I
      rather doubt this is strictly the case.

      Still -- fascinating.

      Tangwystyl
      --
      *****
      Heather Rose Jones
      Message 47 of 47 , May 6, 2004
        > I am of the opinion that they portrayed them as they saw them, mostly.
        I haven't
        > made any, but it seems that cutting on the bias allows a more fitted
        look.

        > Alcyoneus

        I agree, but they still don't look like tights. We have a lot of
        fellows around here who wear them well (Richard), and even the best
        fitting ones get a bit saggy by the day's end. I was simply attempting
        to delineate tights vs. hosen. Hmmm, now if you got sewn into your
        hosen in the morning..... (if I were male I would be SUCH a fop!)

        MAdinia