[Authentic_SCA] Re: Handsewing stitches

  • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2004

      >I had some others, but they appear to be dead now. =(

      Could you give me the URL's anyway, so I can check the Wayback Machine?

      I just found something new... www.gigablast.com is a search engine
      that FINDS older versions that are archived on the Wayback Machine.

      >Hope this helps!

      Thank you very much, yes it does.

      Ranvaig
    • bronwynmgn@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2004
        In a message dated 2/1/2004 12:45:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:

        <<I've volunteered to teach a class in our shire on period finishes for seams.

        I found this website by Tangwystyl verch Morgant Glasvryn
        http://www.virtue.to/guest_authors/archaeological_sewing.html

        but am hoping to find something that actually shows the stitches.
        I know I've seen such a site, but can't find it.>>

        If you have access to the Museum of London Textiles and Clothing book,
        there's a section in the back with diagrams of sewing techniques. Most of them seem
        to be OK, but there are a few which look like they were done by someone who
        didn't sew, but was trying to recreate what he saw on the extant fabrics.
        I'm doing a similar class on handsewing for a Collegium in April.

        Brangwayna
      • Kass McGann
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2004
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, ranvaig@c... wrote:

          > >I had some others, but they appear to be dead now. =(
          >
          > Could you give me the URL's anyway, so I can check the Wayback
          Machine?

          Okay. This was on Maggie's old pages, but she's taken it down:
          http://webnz.com/forest/Medieval/articles/garments/sewing/buttonholes/
          buttonholes.html

          This was a bunch of Viking-age stitches:
          http://www.the-viking-experience.co.uk/basickit1.html

          That's all I have.

          > I just found something new... www.gigablast.com is a search engine
          > that FINDS older versions that are archived on the Wayback Machine.

          Get out! I'll have to try that!

          Kass
        • Heather Rose Jones
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2004
            At 11:19 PM -0500 1/31/04, ranvaig@... wrote:
            >I've volunteered to teach a class in our shire on period finishes for seams.
            >
            >I found this website by Tangwystyl verch Morgant Glasvryn
            >http://www.virtue.to/guest_authors/archaeological_sewing.html
            >
            >but am hoping to find something that actually shows the stitches.
            >I know I've seen such a site, but can't find it.

            It used to be in our group files, but when they changed the way they
            stored text and picture files, the internal links stopped working and
            I took it down. Send me a mailing address and I'll ship you a disk.

            Tangwystyl
            --
            *****
            Heather Rose Jones
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 1, 2004
              >At 11:19 PM -0500 1/31/04, ranvaig@... wrote:
              >>I've volunteered to teach a class in our shire on period finishes for seams.
              >>
              >>I found this website by Tangwystyl verch Morgant Glasvryn
              >>http://www.virtue.to/guest_authors/archaeological_sewing.html
              >>
              >>but am hoping to find something that actually shows the stitches.
              >>I know I've seen such a site, but can't find it.
              >
              >It used to be in our group files, but when they changed the way they
              >stored text and picture files, the internal links stopped working and
              >I took it down. Send me a mailing address and I'll ship you a disk.

              Thank you VERY much, but could you email it? I have an imac and
              don't have a floppy.. I'd have to borrow someone's computer and email
              it to myself anyway. Or did you mean a CD?

              And will you let me hand out copies?

              Ranvaig
            • Maggie Forest
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 11, 2004
                Kass wrote (and sorry, but I've been away for a while)

                >Okay. This was on Maggie's old pages, but she's taken it down:
                >http://webnz.com/forest/Medieval/articles/garments/sewing/buttonholes/
                >buttonholes.html

                my new url is http://www.forest.gen.nz/Medieval

                Also, there's a buncha stuff in the Herjolfsnes book which will become a class
                handout in the next couple months.

                /maggie

                Ex Factis Honestas Agnoscitur