Instrument Cases

  • Wanda Pease
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2004
      From: "Lady_Lark_Azure" <jenniferanne21@n...>
      Date: Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:56 am
      Subject: instrument cases

      I'm trying to catch up with postings, since I wasn't reading from
      home yesterday.

      A friend mentioned once that they came across a reference about Henry
      VIII having a wide hardened leather tube that was honeycombed inside
      to hold his recorders. I haven't tracked the reference down though.

      I did have a friend make a leather case for my shawm. It looks like
      a quiver, since I wear it slung on my back. It's a leather tube,
      lined with sheepskin. The cap has a compartment in it for my reeds,
      staple, pirouette, etc. It also has a hook inside the cap so that I
      can make a padded roll for my recorders and suspend if from the top.
      I can't document it, but it looks better than plastic.

      Isabeau

      I just got a copy of the _Inventory of King Henry VIII: the Transcription_,
      Ed. by David Starkey, Harvey Miller Publishers, The Society of Antiquaries
      London ISBN 872501893. Big book.

      It has a section on musical instruments he owned, and a short one on chests,
      which were frequently cases:
      Item 11927: Item twoo Chestes for Instrumentes of woode painted thone being
      greater then thother.

      Item 119935: Item A Case covered with crimesen vellat havinge locke and all
      other garnishements to the same of Siluer gilte with Viij recorders of
      Iuerie in the same Case the twoo bases garnished with Silve and guilt

      Item 11941: iij Flutes of glass and one of woode painted like glassse in a
      Case of black leather

      Item 11942: iij Flutes of woode in a case of blacke leather.
      (More)
      Item 11944: A Case with iiij Crumhornes in it.

      Item 11945: Another case with vij Crumhornes in it

      Item 11946: Item v shorte Instruments caulled dulcenes in v seuerall cases
      to them couered with blacke leather

      Item 11948: Item iiij bagge pipes with pipes of Ivorie.

      several more musical instrument items that I haven't listed such a Regalles,
      Vyrgynalles, etc.

      11950: Item sondrie bookes and skrolles of songes and ballattes. So he had
      written music to play the bagpipes to when he had time?!

      Regina Romsey
      "The work of our Laurels will astonish people a century from now; the
      deeds of our knights will be forgotten in five years; and nobody knows
      what the Pelicans have done." Sir Alan Culross
    • Heather Rose Jones
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2004
        At 7:23 PM -0800 1/31/04, Wanda Pease wrote:

        >It has a section on musical instruments he owned, and a short one on chests,
        >which were frequently cases:

        <snip list of descriptions>

        Thanks for posting this. Hardened leather cases seem to have been
        fairly common for all manner of objects in the medieval period.
        There's a rather nice and elaborate one among the regalia of the Holy
        Roman Emperors for the crown. It would make an interesting research
        project to look at things like this from the "general structure of
        boxes" angle -- looking at construction techniques and whatnot.

        Tangwystyl
        --
        *****
        Heather Rose Jones