Re: corny accents, was Authenticity 101

  • Anthony J. Bryant
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 30, 2004
      Jehanne wrote:

      > Then there was the well meaning young lady who
      > insisted on writing e- mails in an bad Irish brogue,
      > complete with parenthetical smiles, bows and other
      > gestures. I contacted her off-list and suggested that
      > doing so made her messages extremely difficult to
      > understand and suggested that she limit in-persona
      > writing on e-lists to her greeting and signature.

      Oy. Sad. Very sad.

      On the other direction, we have Broom (Master Eustace) here in the Mid who
      actually reads and writes Middle English. His missives on the Laurel list are a
      delight to read, as he often posts in ME, and after a few seconds of puzzling,
      it becomes clear what he's saying and -- dammit -- it just is so RIGHT. I don't
      recommend that for most people, though, as Broom actually *does* know it and
      there's no pretense or fakery in what he writes.

      I really love that guy. He's a hell of an inspiration.

      Effingham