RE: Ruffly things at hems

  • ACatelli@manafortbrothers.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2004
      > > "Lots" in this case being maybe up to (please note weasel words) 3%
      > > of gowns depicted in manuscripts and paintings surviving from c.
      1380-1430,

      > What is a weasel word?

      A word or phrase to indicate some level of uncertainty.
      such as the internet "iirc", if I recall correctly.

      > Also the gowns counted in the percentage, is it all gowns or just
      > displayed undergowns? I am trying to do my own count from my sources.
      >
      > Eleanor le Brun

      I didn't do a count, so my numbers are Really off-the-cuff.

      Undergowns only--that is, the 'versatile layer', 'gothic fitted', basic cote
      style gown.

      I didn't keep track of any other style variations that might be associated
      with the ruffle (or whatever it may be).

      I'll look the calf level lines up & give you some references, if you like.

      Ann in CT