Re: Authenticiy eGroup, and Persona problems

  • Stephen Higa
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 20, 2000
      > Moshe,
      >
      > I used to be subscribed to the authenticity group here at egroups.
      > It was good for a while. Then the discussion just kind of dropped
      > off. I unsubscribed when I realized all I was getting were the "This
      > Week in History" updates and no one was talking at all.

      Oh, well, that's not good...Don't be worried that no one's talking in this
      group yet! It'll be a while I guess before people have anything to say.

      Oh, Doña Aoi: at a feast this past weekend, I encountered similar problems
      with dealing with my persona's relation to food. As a Heian lady, you have
      reserves about eating in public? Well, Moshe, being a Jewish mystic, is
      somewhat ascetic. I do avoid meats and alcoholic beverages, but there were
      many other fancy foods there in which I partook...I thought everyone else
      might not notice, but I got into a conversation with a girl from my group
      who's persona is from around Jerusalem, and she chided me for being a holy
      man and still feasting with the rest of them. What might be a good
      response? I, in turn, chided her for drinking wine and eating meat that was
      processed by Gentiles (non-kosher!)... ;)

      Oh, and what happens if someone asks you a question your persona should know
      off-hand, but you don't? In the process of the conversation, I mentioned
      that I had not read the Talmud in full, because I was only 19. Then, later
      on, she asked me why I was not married yet. Now, I have no idea when the
      expected marriage age for a Jewish person in 12th c. Spain would be (as
      opposed to 10th c. Jerusalem), but I ended up saying something that sounded
      right: men in our country wait longer before marriage in order to set up an
      appropriate house and financial situation for his younger future wife. And
      then I did the worst of all: I made up some details about my persona story,
      concerning the ages of my parents and sister when they were married! I said
      that my father was 29 or 30 years, and my mother was 16. Then I said that
      my sister married our old Rabbi's son Yehudi (a detail I had already in my
      persona story) but then I said that she married him when she was 20 and he
      28. Forgive me! I hope the Jerusalemite (a word?) doesn't remember to hold
      me to those details once I find out the proper answers. Does anyone happen
      to know?

      Sorry so long...I originally didn't know what to write, but then I just
      couldn't stop...

      Moshe, fijo de Yishma'el
      Awake, Awake, O My Soul!
      Awake, O My Heart!
      The Beloved draws near!
      Throw off the heavy covers,
      the wrinkled bedclothes, laden with slumber!
      Tear open the shutters, open wide the door!
      --Moshe ibn Yishma'el (12th c.)
    • Kass McGann
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 30, 2000
        > Oh, Doña Aoi: at a feast this past weekend, I encountered similar
        problems
        > with dealing with my persona's relation to food. As a Heian lady,
        you have
        > reserves about eating in public? Well, Moshe, being a Jewish
        mystic, is
        > somewhat ascetic. I do avoid meats and alcoholic beverages, but
        there were
        > many other fancy foods there in which I partook...I thought
        everyone else
        > might not notice, but I got into a conversation with a girl from my
        group
        > who's persona is from around Jerusalem, and she chided me for being
        a holy
        > man and still feasting with the rest of them. What might be a good
        > response? I, in turn, chided her for drinking wine and eating meat
        that was
        > processed by Gentiles (non-kosher!)... ;)

        Well done, Moshe!

        > Oh, and what happens if someone asks you a question your persona
        should know
        > off-hand, but you don't?

        I generally do what you did. I take my knowledge of my persona
        and "fudge" an answer. No one expects you to be perfect all the
        time. And chances are the person with whom you are conversing will
        not know if you are stretching the truth a bit. I mean, after all,
        is it entirely out of the realm of possibility that there was a
        Jewish man in Spain whose family tradition was one of marrying later
        than their neighbours? It could be.

        Personally, I am in my thirties and would be very old by Heian
        standards. But I portray a young childless woman. To my mind, it is
        the same as pretending I am Asian -- it's part of the role. We
        mutually suspend our disbelief.

        Of course I sometimes use the fallback that I do not speak these
        Western tongues so well and perhaps I do not understand so well
        either. =)

        > Sorry so long...I originally didn't know what to write, but then I
        just
        > couldn't stop...

        It happens...

        Fujiwara no Aoi
      • Stephen Higa
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 2000
          Thanks, that's good advice. I consulted the sca-judaica list, and I came up
          with the solution that I AM married, to Constanza Portales just last year.
          I don't let her go to events, because she is still young and who knows what
          these crazy drunken men might do? I want to be the age I am now, and as
          years pass for me, years pass for Moshe. Except for Moshe, the year is
          1164.

          > Of course I sometimes use the fallback that I do not speak these
          > Western tongues so well and perhaps I do not understand so well
          > either. =)

          Hee hee, I used that excuse when I went Japanese to the Renaissance Faire.
          People would be trying to get my sister and I into their stores when I
          didn't have any interest in going, so I would consult my sister in Japanese
          and she would tell the merchants that she was very sorry, but her friend
          doesn't speak English very well. :) One merchant must've thought we were

          Moshe
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 3, 2000
            > Thanks, that's good advice. I consulted the sca-judaica list, and I came
            up
            > with the solution that I AM married, to Constanza Portales just last year.
            > I don't let her go to events, because she is still young and who knows
            what
            > these crazy drunken men might do? I want to be the age I am now, and as
            > years pass for me, years pass for Moshe. Except for Moshe, the year is
            > 1164.

            I think that is a wonderful solution, Moshe!

            > Hee hee, I used that excuse when I went Japanese to the Renaissance Faire.
            > People would be trying to get my sister and I into their stores when I
            > didn't have any interest in going, so I would consult my sister in
            Japanese
            > and she would tell the merchants that she was very sorry, but her friend
            > doesn't speak English very well. :) One merchant must've thought we were
            > serious, and said in a very apologetic voice, "oh, that's okay." :)

            <tittering behind my fan> Hee hee hee hee hee

            Kass/Fujiwara