Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Fwd: Lady Jehanne de Wodeford's greetings

  • L Joseph
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 12, 2001
      --- Stephen Higa <mitsuo@...> wrote:
      > Shalom, Do´┐Ża Jehanne! I am Moshe Mantega, son of
      > Yishma'el al-'Abri.

      Pax vobiscum, my lord

      > How wonderful! A house of prayer is always a
      > welcome thing. I hail
      > from the house of the illustrious merchant Shafiq
      > ibn Wahib al-Khayyat
      > 'Abd al-Rahman al-Andalusi, where I enjoy his
      > patronage as a poet and
      > musician (albeit a Jewish one). The Christians have
      > just taken this
      > area back from the Moslem rulers in the south, so I
      > must say that I am
      > in Southern Castile. Interesting--my father as a
      > boy would've called
      > himself Andalusian!

      Ah, a lady of my acquaintance also hails from al
      Andaluz. Dona Ana Ravaya de Guzman is a talented
      singer and poet. I expect to see her this weekend at
      East Kingdom Twelfth Night and will mention this venue
      to her as I'm sure from her work she will be
      interested.

      > Ah, the West! I hope to see you there!
      I'm looking forward to it, though I will miss my
      friends here in Rusted Woodlands.

      > Nice! WHat is your period of musical interest?
      Better to say, what isn't? My tastes are extremely
      eclectic. I've been singing with a choir that does
      mostly late period polyphony (we have singers of
      varying skill levels and if you aren't used to the
      positively crunchy harmonies in earlier pieces, it's
      more difficult to absorb). I've done some Elizabethan
      songs by Dowland, and am currently working on trying
      to learn "Ja Nus Hon Pris" which is attributed to
      Richard Coeur de Lion, so I'm all over the map.
      Mundanely my music education consists of three years
      of piano lessons as a child so I'm self taught on
      whistle and psaltery and am learning as I go.
      little harder for some of our members to "get">

      > Oh, I'm sorry. One thing I can say for the West (at
      > least where I am) is that we have a lot of good
      > dance instructors who teach us only the
      > period stuff.
      I know. My lord, Vicomte Maitre Cai de Lyon, who just
      moved back out there, has his laurel in dance and will
      not do anything from Playford.

      > Yes, you make a good point, and I usually refrain
      > from using that term (unless the person actually
      > fits it, which I have yet to see ;)
      I prefer troubadour or minstrel, which are closer to
      what I do. Don't get me started on drunken louts who
      do SCA karaoke or the Dumbekistan Drum and Drum Corps.
      ;->

      > I haven't seen much archery, and little [period]
      > music, but you'll change all that, I'm sure :)
      We'll see. I will be as a stranger in a strange land.
      Surely there is someone in the cradle of SCA
      civilization who does period music. Nonetheless, I am
      frantically copying sheet music before I leave. If
      Golden Rivers doesn't yet have a choir I may have to
      start one.

      Cheers,
      Jehanne

      =====
      When longbows are outlawed, only outlaws will have longbows.

      http://photos.yahoo.com/
    • Stephen Higa
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 16, 2001
        > Ah, a lady of my acquaintance also hails from al
        > Andaluz. Dona Ana Ravaya de Guzman is a talented
        > singer and poet. I expect to see her this weekend at
        > East Kingdom Twelfth Night and will mention this venue
        > to her as I'm sure from her work she will be
        > interested.

        Mucho vos lo gradesco.

        > I prefer troubadour or minstrel, which are closer to
        > what I do. Don't get me started on drunken louts who
        > do SCA karaoke or the Dumbekistan Drum and Drum Corps.
        > ;->

        Hee hee, my friend and I are always lamenting the lack of ANYTHING
        (ethnically accurate--not even necessarily period--dancing and
        costume, clothing) in the belly-dancers' circle.

        > We'll see. I will be as a stranger in a strange land.
        > Surely there is someone in the cradle of SCA
        > civilization who does period music.

        Well, rest assured that I do only period music. Most from around my
        period (12th c.) and in my area (Spain).

        > Nonetheless, I am
        > frantically copying sheet music before I leave. If
        > Golden Rivers doesn't yet have a choir I may have to
        > start one.

        Good! My dream is to put on a Mystery or Passion play, so we may
        recruit you guys for that. :) My other dream is to re-create a
        medieval Andalusian entertainment night with music, poetry,
        shadow-plays, dancers, etc... :)
      • L Joseph
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 16, 2001
          --- Stephen Higa <mitsuo@...> wrote:
          > Mucho vos lo gradesco.
          I forgot much of my high school Spanish, but I'd guess
          that was a "thank you." In period dialect, no less?

          > Hee hee, my friend and I are always lamenting the
          > lack of ANYTHING
          > (ethnically accurate--not even necessarily
          > period--dancing and
          > costume, clothing) in the belly-dancers' circle.
          Bloody Saracens. Not only are they infidels but they
          keep everyone up at night with their thumping and
          wriggling. ;->

          "Q: What is the difference between God and a dumbek
          player?
          A: God doesn't THINK he's can play the dumbek."

          > Well, rest assured that I do only period music.
          > Most from around my period (12th c.) and in my
          > area (Spain).
          I'll be interested to hear it. Not that I can't
          appreciate a clever filk, but there are plenty of
          folks already DOING that. My friend Ana does songs and
          stories in Spanish and is expressive enough I can
          usually get what they're about before she offers the
          translation.

          > Good! My dream is to put on a Mystery or Passion
          > play, so we may recruit you guys for that. :) My
          > other dream is to re-create a medieval Andalusian
          > entertainment night with music, poetry, shadow-
          > plays, dancers, etc... :)

          Sounds like it could be fascinating. (A friend who
          recently decided to do a Japanese persona thinks he'd
          some day like to put on a Noh play.) Anyway, I'll more
          than likely stand back and observe at my first few
          Western events and get a feel for the SCA culture out
          there before I begin stirring up trouble, eh?

          Cheers,
          Jehanne de Wodeford, Rusted Woodlands (EAST)

          =====
          When longbows are outlawed, only outlaws will have longbows.

          http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/