Re: [Authentic_SCA] Age

  • Hasoferet@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 6, 2004
      I did a bachelors in history focusing on Early Modern Europe, so yes, I do
      have a ballpark feel for life expectancy. Just beeing gleefully over the top.;)
      What one of my professors always used to say (regarding the middle-to-upper
      classes of Renaissance Italy), was 'Make it to five, and odds are you'll get to
      puberty. And ladies, survive childbirth the first time round and you'll
      probably outlive your first husband, now there's something to motivate ya!"

      But I'm also crucially aware that medically speaking, Raquel and Charlotte
      are not the same person at all, and that does begin with their respective
      chances of living to be toddlers, and just gets odder from there on. Raquel does not
      (despite appearances), have little toes that were mashed into triangularity
      by twentieth-century shoes. And Charlotte cheats, because while Raquel is quite
      short-sighted, Charlotte doesn't have to be, so they both wear her corrective
      lenses. In some ways, my body is the thing about me that can least be made
      period. I don't know if it comes in before or after my mind, but both of them
      were molded a long time ago, and can't be restitched when new information about
      the Barcelona calle comes out in Sepharad magazine.

      On a blither note, of course, I also typed that in thinking of a bit from the
      Reduced Shakespeare company: "Romeo and Juliet were thirteen years old. By
      modern standards this is shocking, but thirteen was practically middle aged,
      back in the Middle Ages..." and after much silliness ends up with "Women gave
      birth at eight, men went off to war at five, and the average Englishman died
      before he was born."

      Raquel

      In a message dated 1/6/04 5:40:40 PM, davidparishwhittaker@... writes:

      << Raquel, I know you were being "romanically sily" about the Hindu-

      French persona, but I wasn't sure if you were about the age thing.

      For late period (i.e. Bess's reign and people), the average life

      expectancy was 48, which included childhood mortality. If you made

      it to 30 years old, you had a better than even chance of making it to

      60. Obviously, not even close to modern life expectancy, but really

      folks did frequently make it to what we would call old age. Even the

      Bible speaks of three score and ten alloted years. And that's

      without access to modern bleeding and mercury treatments! >>

      Do not beg. Do not refuse. Preserve. Bestow.

      --Colman mac Beognae, 'The Alphabet of Devotion