Glasses

  • wodeford
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 2004
      What, THIS topic again?
      Walking into doors and falling in holes is period - but not fun.

      Wear 'em. That way you'll have better aim when you throw rotting
      vegetables at the #@)$&#^$& who insists on blinding people with a
      flash camera.

      Jehanne de Wodeford
    • Willow Polson
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 2004
        At 12:45 AM 1/7/2004 +0000, you wrote:
        >What, THIS topic again?

        Sorry, I did search the archives for "glasses" and "eyeglasses" before I
        posted.

        >Wear 'em. That way you'll have better aim when you throw rotting
        >vegetables at the #@)$&#^$& who insists on blinding people with a
        >flash camera.

        ROTFL! You mean lightning in a tiny box isn't period??

        Rev. Willow Polson www.willowsplace.com
        Give my Pagan Paradise Live365 Radio Station a listen!
        http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/directory.cgi?autostart=willowpolson
      • wodeford
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 6, 2004
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Willow Polson <willow@c...>
          wrote:

          > ROTFL! You mean lightning in a tiny box isn't period??

          Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live, y'know. I'll bring the
          marshmallows.

          Jehanne
        • Nibuca
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 7, 2004
            Willow said:
            > AFAIK only the very wealthy, and in late SCA period,

            > had access to any kind of eyeglasses --
            > needleworkers and scribes don't qualify as very
            > wealthy. If someone has further information about
            > this I'd love to hear it.

            The book "Books, Banks and Buttons" by Chiara Frugoni
            has a very nice long section tracking the origin and
            accessiblity of eyeglasses.
            http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0231128126/cm_aya_asin.title/002-6265462-8535246?v=glance&s=books

            The book indicates that eyeglasses were developed to
            help monks with reading, illumination and calligraphy.
            They seem to have originated in Italy.. I think in
            the 1400's (book's at home, I'm at work). As they
            were used by monks I don't think you're correct in
            that they were only for the wealthy. That said, the
            book indicated that it'd only seen one painting with a
            woman wearing glasses and that had been.. some Saint
            who was born blind and then gained sight at her
            baptism. The patron saint of sight.

            Sylvie
            ... also a Westie